Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,065   Posts: 1,611,684   Online: 793

Shooter
    Multi Format

Film and International USPS and APOs...need I be worried?

Hi,

I have shot 15 rolls of film over 2 months in afghanistan on film purchased from BH photovideo and mailed via an APO address, to Kabul. The films ere APX100 and TriX. I have about 30 rolls so far unused. I have tried to shoot images whenever possible and have put quite a bit of time into getting the images have suddenly been struck with fear over this one.....as none have yet been developed.

I did not even think about X-rays as I was not getting on a plane with it, which was stupid as the film went USPS airmail. I have also heard scary things about electron beam scanning.

My parcel was marked as photographic kit.

I am now VERY worried and would be gutted if I were to lose these irreplacable images which I have yet to see. I will hopefully dev them in about 4 weeks time.

I have read about issues with USPS bombarding film. Has anyone got any real knowledge or experience on this one. Surely loads of people have ordered film internationally and or via USPS????

I await your responses and will either dance about naked or sit on a landmine (whichever is more appropriate).

Tom or Just not sure.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have bought lots of film from US and had it sent by USPS many times. Never a problem with fogging ,with film sent to Norway.... Don`t know how it is with film beeing sent to the US, but personally, I wouldn`t worry....
    Amund

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You should not have any problems. I live in Hawaii and I have to mail order ALL my film, and I mostly use USPS.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Phew, thanks. Panic over. I look fwd to posting some of the images here in the gallery!

Rhds,

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not to introduce a storm to your peace of mind, Tom, but you may be in a different situation than other postal patrons. For example, USPS packages coming from a war zone may be handled differently than packages from other areas. If there is any way to process the film while you are there, that might be a better idea than trusting that the film won't be ruined by the USPS looking for incoming explosives. You might see if there are indy photojournalists there who might shed area-specific light on the question, or might have processing suggestions.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My understanding, is that APO mail comes by military cargo aircraft to the US (in many cases, like a war zone), where it is then put into the US postal system.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That would be my understanding, as well, Robert. I'm just not sure if the receiving PO handles the incoming APO mail any idfferently than that with a domestic origin.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I ordered mail from BH photovideo, despached bu USPS to the APO in NY then by Mil mail here. It will be going home in my handluggage. To mail out you have to leave the package open and take it to the posties who inspect the contents, so hopefully stuff being sent here rather than going out wont have been xrayed by the military etc

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin