Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,343   Online: 829

Shooter
    Medium Format

High Key portrait dev times

I am refining my high key portrait technique at present and need some advice regarding developing for highlights. I want as much detail as possible in the highlights obviously.

I've over exposed a roll of Efke R50 by one stop and also a roll of Agfa APX25 by a stop also.

Hasselblad
    White background
    2 large softboxes either side of subject evenly lit.
    Model has blonde hair.
    Rodinal 1+50

Can anyone recommend how much adjustments I should make to the dev times?

Thanks

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi Gary, for what you are trying, essentially a one stop pull, I would suggest reducing your dev time by 25%. You could also try a higher dilution of Rodinal, say 1:100,at double your normal time with less aggitation. This will hold back the highlights, and is a useful method of compensating for contrasty subjects. Regards, J.B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I`ve tried pulling for high-key, and found the results pretty lifeless and dull.
    That`s probably because the lighting isn`t really contrasy, especially when using a white background and even lighting. So for me it`s has worked out better to expose normally and then overdevlop to push the midtones higher.

So in your case I wouldn`t reduce development at all.
    Amund

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to cover another of the possibilities, how about exposing normally and developing normally?

So much depends on the subject, the lighting, and metering methods, it's difficult to generalize a solution or approach to exposure and development, I think.

If my guess at your "over-exposure" is accurate, I think I'd lean toward developing "normally" to boost the contrast of what I'm assuming to be subtle shadows from your lighting description.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi JB, I noticed on another thread you are keen on less agitation, are you frightened of splashing your clothes? Only messing, but I'm a regular agitator.

I was intending to go the normal dev time route this time. Thanks for the input folks.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have finished off a film today by making some exposures of a white rose and have placed the meter reading two stops higher on zone 7. Tomorrow I shall develop the film and hope to have a denser negative which should help me to produce a white image if I attempt a print. Apart from stand development, I do not intend to give any more or less development to the film. I shall let you know if it comes out as hoped !
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin