Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,065   Posts: 1,611,724   Online: 861

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Strange Flaking Problem with Certain B&W Papers

I usually contact print my 8x10 negs on 8 1/2 x11 or 11x14 paper because I think it looks better. To save money, I've started to print on 8x10 paper. I've noticed that when using the Bergger VC warmtone or the Oriental warmtone papers, that the black border around the print flakes off in the wash. I've never had this happen before and I am confused. I've never had emulsion flake off before and I am wondering why it is happening on two separate papers. It really looks bad. To be precise, I am using Ilford warmtone developer and selenium toning and washing for 30 minutes.

W.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've had that happen with papers in the past. My problem came from too long total wet time combined with warm processing temps. When I live in Memphis my incoming water temp in the summer can get as high as 85F.
    Ron
    Memphis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am assuming that this is FB paper, as I don't think Bergger coats RC.

Sometimes the Baryta does not have enough softening agent in it (although this only shows up when dry) or it is over calendared making it subjet to flaking. Another cause of flaking is not having enough gelatin in the baryta.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    I am assuming that this is FB paper, as I don't think Bergger coats RC.

Sometimes the Baryta does not have enough softening agent in it (although this only shows up when dry) or it is over calendared making it subjet to flaking. Another cause of flaking is not having enough gelatin in the baryta.

PE
    Hmmmmm.... I can't remember that ever happening with a photo paper
    [COLOR=Yellow]MADE IN AMERICA-U.S.A.[/COLOR]
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1
    Hmmmmm.... I can't remember that ever happening with a photo paper

I am going to assume, from all of the comments on coating defects we have seen here, and this problem as well, that coating quality is on a slow decline.

Things may get worse rather than better in this regard. IDK for sure.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i was sending a job out today,
    and noticed about a good handful prints have the same defect.
    i spoke with some at ilford this morning, and they suggested
    it was a defect in the batch .... about 15sheets out of the box seem to have it so far ...
    i hope it won't happen to all of them, i'd hate to make 200 reprints

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I saw the same thing last year when working in very hot conditions. My solutions would have been 25 degrees and wet time about an hour and a half. In my case it only happened around the edges of the print and I had enough room to trim it away.

Do the flakes start at the edges of the paper in your cases?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I occasionally see some tiny edge and corner flaking with a variety of papers when contacting a 8x10 negative on to 8x10 paper. This does not happen when the same paper is used with white borders for ordinary projection exposures; or so I thought.

On closer looking the flaking is still there but it is hard to see on a white edge and really obvious on a black edge. My cure? Just guillotine 1mm off each black edge and things look neat again!
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin