Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,209   Posts: 1,531,972   Online: 1168

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Digital Negs

Developing 120 film myself... (newbie question!)

Hi all!

I'm quite a newbie; I never developed a roll of film yet. I bought some chemical though.
    wondering. I've been shooting some 120 film and I wanted to develop it myself.
    But I was wondering: there is that paper at the back of the film. How do we get rid of it actually?

Ilona

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You tear it off in a completely darkened room, preparing the film for putting it on the development reel

M.
    Last edited by Marc Leest; 05-11-2006 at 04:14 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: extra info
    We cannot change how the cards are dealt, just how to play the hand...
    Randy Pausch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The film is attached to the backing paper by a single piece of tape in one end of the film. Simply tear off the tape from the backing paper. And remember to develop the film, not the backing paper

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I unwind off the spool, I hold the film (by the edges), winding it into a roll, and let the paper fall away. Once all film is off, pull tape away from paper.
    Some people remove the tape from the film, some just fold it over the end of the film, others just trim off the excess. Be aware that sometimes (low humidity) removing the tape from the film can produce a static spark that can show up on the film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I would strongly recommend getting an unused roll of 120 film, unravelling it in the light and examining how it's put together. Also, practice loading it on to your developing reels, first in the light and then in the dark. It can be quite difficult to load 120 film until you get the knack -- I speak from experience

Mike

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Oh, OK. It's simpler than I thought. I'll give it a try with a roll that I can shoot again easily ("mistake-proof" :-).
    Thank you all!

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Yes, I was thinking that some practice would be useful. I have an expired roll that I can easily use for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It just falls away when you load the film onto the spiral.

Theres a great PDF on Ilfords website for you.
    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applications/page.asp?n=31

Have fun

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    here's how I load a plastic (Paterson style) spool...

1. Arrange tank on bench. I put the tank nearest me then the lid behind.
    2. Make sure the centre post is in the reel.
    3. Get my scissors and break the sealing tape on the film, making sure I don't drop the film!
    4. Hold the film in one hand and turn off the lights
    5. Put a finger under the 1st layer of paper backing and start unrolling it. With my finger I'm feeling for when the film starts.
    6. Once the film end is located, I get the scissors and trim the paper backing leaving about an inch or so of film poking out. This lets me handle the film to get it started in the reel without touching the film as the paper backing is still covering the majority of it.
    7. Pick up reel and feel where intake slots are, rotate the two sides so they are apart (not lined up) and poke the film into the 1st one. Push it in feeling the other side in to it's slot.
    8. Grab the end of the film in the middle and pull it past the ball bearings
    9. Make a few wiggles back and drop the film so it hangs down.
    10. Shuffle the reel sides back and forward until feel the end.
    11. Tear the rest of the paper backing off and fold the tape over onto the film. I used to remove the tape but there was always the risk of kinking the film if it was stuck too hard. For J&C Classic, I do remove it as it's not stuck much at all and wory it will float off during development
    12. Wiggle the reel again to take up the last couple of inches of film and place it in the tank.
    13. Put the lids on.
    14. Turn lights on.

Easier down than explained! Takes me between 1 and 2 minutes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilona,
    Let us know how you get on. Best of luck (actually, it's not all that difficult after a bit of practise)
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin