Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,527   Posts: 1,543,929   Online: 1087

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

AT LAST :-) ... found a BEAUTIFUL paper/dev combo...

I have recently been on a hunt to find a replacement for the Kodak Polymax FA FB paper. Well, I believe I've found it. I've spent the last week testing various paper/dev combinations. I tried ILFORD MGIV and MGIVWT, Forte Multigrade and polywarmtone, kentmere fineprint, bergger, and foma. I printed the same neg (tmax100) while matching as closely as possible the contrast and tonal densities. I processed each of these prints in all of the following developers: Agfa Neutol Plus, Agfa Neuto WA, Ilford Cooltone, Ilford Multigrade, Dektol 1:1 1:2 1:3, LPD 1:1 1:2 1:3 1:4. The winner HANDS DOWN for a tonally rich, sharp, as close to neutral as possible print with a fine quality surface is...

Forte POLYGRADE (not polywarmtone) in Agfa Neutol WA (not Neutol Plus) then selenium toned in 1:20 at 72F for 2 minutes! WOW. I toned for 2 minutes, 3.5 minutes, 5 minutes. At 2 minutes you get pretty close to neutral (losing the green tint) and after 2 minutes you start to incur a color change toward eggplant.

If you are searching for a similar look I HIGHLY recommend giving this a shot! In a time where quality paper choices are diminishing and more people are looking for a replacement paper, I hope this saves someone some time.
    Last edited by bobbysandstrom; 05-13-2006 at 04:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Good to hear Bobby. Thanks for doing these trials and passing it on.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbysandstrom
    I have recently been on a hunt to find a replacement for the Kodak Polymax FA FB paper. Well, I believe I've found it. I've spent the last week testing various paper/dev combinations. I tried ILFORD MGIV and MGIVWT, Forte Multigrade and polywarmtone, kentmere fineprint, bergger, and foma. I printed the same neg (tmax100) while matching as closely as possible the contrast and tonal densities. I processed each of these prints in all of the following developers: Agfa Neutol Plus, Agfa Neuto WA, Ilford Cooltone, Ilford Multigrade, Dektol 1:1 1:2 1:3, LPD 1:1 1:2 1:3 1:4. The winner HANDS DOWN for a tonally rich, sharp, as close to neutral as possible print with a fine quality surface is...

Forte POLYGRADE (not polywarmtone) in Agfa Neutol WA (not Neutol Plus) then selenium toned in 1:20 at 72F for 2 minutes! WOW. I toned for 2 minutes, 3.5 minutes, 5 minutes. At 2 minutes you get pretty close to neutral (losing the green tint) and after 2 minutes you start to incur a color change toward eggplant.

If you are searching for a similar look I HIGHLY recommend giving this a shot! In a time where quality paper choices are diminishing and more people are looking for a replacement paper, I hope this saves someone some time.
    I have to agree that this paper is one of the finest I have ever encountered - especially at lower contrast grades where it can achieve a really deep D-max but also hold a very long run of highlights. It is, in a word, PERFECT!!!!

Have fun with it,

Lachlan

P.S. the RC version of this paper is head and shoulders above anything else - oh, and it's nearly £10 cheaper than the equivalent Ilford product - always good for cash strapped students like me!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bobby, I was afraid for a moment that you had lost the holy grail of paper/dev combo. Y'know "alas" is an expression of despair. "At last" was probably what you were looking for... Sorry for nitpicking, I'm taking note of your results, though!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Michel what are you talking about? :-)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    OOPS, thought I was able to change the title. Thanks for the heads up Michel. (though I must say I was experiencing some despair while trying to find this combo)

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Try it in Ansco 130 just amazing!! Also try the semi matt just beautiful paper with rich blakcs and whites.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OOPS, thought I was able to change the title. Thanks for the heads up Michel. (though I must say I was experiencing some despair while trying to find this combo)
    Lapsus! You couldn't yet brush away the despair, despite the discovery.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm

Well done.
    i have been on a similar hunt since agfa pulled the plug.
    i haven't done detailed tests but for me forte pw plus either neutol or dektol plus selenium per your description is the way if you want that deep eggplant burnished look. i wish i could get a hold of forte pg but not so easy here in australia. the pw is very color sensitive. green then red.

john c

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    John C:

Try giving Freestyle a try. I imagine they'd ship to you.

good luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin