Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,523   Online: 1214

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have tested Forma and Lucky, I agree that Lucky has a look all of its own, the Forma I used tinted the presoak water blue so I guess that it has some anti-halation layers.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell
    I have tested Forma and Lucky, I agree that Lucky has a look all of its own, the Forma I used tinted the presoak water blue so I guess that it has some anti-halation layers.
    What format was that? I was referring to 35mm, and I've never seen this effect with Foma films in that format. I gather that Foma's got different bases (and perhaps anti-halation qualities) in different formats.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou
    If I wanted this effect, I guess that I could let some FP4 4x5 sheets drown in water for a while (in the dark !!!) then dry them and shoot them... water removes FP4's anti-halo layer effectively, doesn't it ?
    Unfortunately, water also very effectively removes sensitizing dyes, so your FP4+ would probably be more like ISO 25 than 125 after you soak and dry it (in total darkness, of course). Actually, if you *want* to remove the antihalation, it would probably work better to use water with about a half teaspoon per quart of sodium carbonate; this will swell the gelatin and let the dye dissolve out more readily. A quick dip in common stop bath and then a wash (the Ilford wash is probably overkill for this process, but a couple changes of water to clear out the acetic acid would be good) before hanging to dry will return the gelatin to a "normalized" state.

I think it's probably easier to buy Lucky film, unless you need this effect in 4x5 -- Lucky is available in ISO 100 and 400, 35 mm and 120, but not in sheet form to the best of my knowledge.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    What format was that? I was referring to 35mm, and I've never seen this effect with Foma films in that format. I gather that Foma's got different bases (and perhaps anti-halation qualities) in different formats.

Your right I tested the 120 format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    You are right, I tested both Luck and Foma in the 120 format.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin