Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,598   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

B&W 35mm from China

While I was travelling in China I bought some Lucky 100 asa black and white film. I was wondering if anyone has tried it? I have the developing times. It's the only thing on the inside of the box that's not in Chinese characters. I do understand D76 and 20 degrees celsius. LOL

I just wondered if it was like any other B&W film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried some Lucky SHD 100 and it was unlike any other B&W film I have used recently, apart from HIE, because the anti-halation layer wasn't very effective. Great if you like that effect.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Helen,

Are you saying that it kind of looks like infrared?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kate,

Only in the sense that the highlights spread - they had haloes. The film samples I tried had poor anti-halation properties. There are people who want that, I guess.

I developed mine in W2D2+ at the same time I use for APX 100.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This could perhaps be a good starting point for you: Expose it at 80 iso and develop it in D-76 (1+1) for 8 minutes at 20C. Works nicely for me. I'm one of those people who enjoy the characteristics of Lucky SHD films. Once you come to terms with the anti-halation properties, you'll find occasions when they are appropriate.
    - You will develop when you become an analog photographer / Exposed Material / Monochromes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For those interested J and C Photo sells the Lucky films.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    For those interested J and C Photo sells the Lucky films.
    http://www.luckyfilm.com/eng/products_1_3.html

Is this the "Lucky" brand you've been talking about? It's not the same as Fujimoto/Lucky, right? Kind of confusing.

But the interesting thing is that the Chinese Lucky lists a lot of photo products, and I'm dead curious about them! If Holga is justified by some people (but not me personally though), why not photo supplies?

Has anyone ever tried any of their stuff besides film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, Chinese Lucky has no relation to Fujimoto/Lucky so far as I know.
    I haven't tried anything else but the films they are making, but I sure would be interrested in trying out some of the papers.
    There are additional Chinese brands out there, e.g. ERA. They seem to have a fair supply of b&w materials too.
    - You will develop when you become an analog photographer / Exposed Material / Monochromes

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    I tried some Lucky SHD 100 and it was unlike any other B&W film I have used recently, apart from HIE, because the anti-halation layer wasn't very effective. Great if you like that effect.

Best,
    Helen
    If I wanted this effect, I guess that I could let some FP4 4x5 sheets drown in water for a while (in the dark !!!) then dry them and shoot them... water removes FP4's anti-halo layer effectively, doesn't it ?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    Can you compare this to Foma films in 35mm? I'm curious because the Fomapan films have poor (perhaps no) anti-halation layers, but they're the only films I've used that are like this (I've never used HIE or Lucky films), so I don't really know just where the Fomapan films are on this measure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin