Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,268   Posts: 1,534,353   Online: 832

Shooter
    35mm

Pls Help : Kodak HIE and Ilford DDX

Hi,
    I just shot a roll of kodak HIE and was wondering if anybody tried to develope it with Ilford DDX. I was not able to find any information about this combination. Thanks!
    Last edited by Runz; 05-17-2006 at 04:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Runz. I have 2 books on infrared and neither mention DDX in their development section. Hopefully someone has tried it and will reply.If you get nothing on DDX, I can tell you what both authors suggest for Kodak, if you indicate a desire to know.

Best of luck

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DDX came to the market in 1999 or so. It is seldom talked to in books because of that.

However, is HIE behaves like a 200 speed film 7.5-8 minutes should be more in the ballpark.
    If you can run a test first
    Mama took my APX away.....

With Clayton F 76 chemistry, which is very similar to DDX, I recommend that the HIE films be developed the same as Tri X or HP 5.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,
    Thanks for the recommendations. Think i'll send this roll to the lab for now, as this is a exposure test roll to begin with, i dun wanna add more uncertainty when analysing the results. Maybe i wll experiment with DDX when i get the exposure right. THANKS!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Runz
    Hi,
    Thanks for the recommendations. Think i'll send this roll to the lab for now, as this is a exposure test roll to begin with, i dun wanna add more uncertainty when analysing the results. Maybe i wll experiment with DDX when i get the exposure right. THANKS!
    I would be cautious of sending your HIE to the lab. If the staff doesn't know much about IR film, you could get some nasty results.

Another point I would make is that everyone comes up with a personal combination of developer and EI that suits their style with infrared. In the case you are talking about, you will be optimizing for your EI, but the lab's developer. You have less control over that. If you ever want to use DDX with HIE, I would not start by sending your first roll to the lab. Optimize your developer time with your personal EI. HIE is finiky, and everyone manipulates in differently. The variations in developer/EI are much more obvious than with any other film. I would do it myself. Personally. But do not let me discourage you from using HIE. I love the stuff. It's just that I have had bad experiences with lab techs ruining my film. Good luck on that.

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." --John Milton

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter." --Unknown missionary

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin