Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,119   Online: 1104

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the MW similarly to NoseOil as posted previously. FB for testing drydown only. Works like a charm. 30 sec at 50%, rotate, 30 sec at 50%. At that point the surface is pretty dry but substrate retains a little moisture.

I find if I dry it ALL the way, it curls so badly that I have a hard time evaluating the print in full. This lets me bend back some of the inherent curl, and after another minute of waving it around to get the surface 100% dry, I can estimate my next exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH
    I use the MW similarly to NoseOil as posted previously. FB for testing drydown only. Works like a charm. 30 sec at 50%, rotate, 30 sec at 50%. At that point the surface is pretty dry but substrate retains a little moisture.

I find if I dry it ALL the way, it curls so badly that I have a hard time evaluating the print in full. This lets me bend back some of the inherent curl, and after another minute of waving it around to get the surface 100% dry, I can estimate my next exposure.
    Hehe I use a paper that has 1% or thereabouts drydown! No need for a microwave! Alexis' method of using a hairdryer for rapid drying does seem like a good idea however.

btw the paper I'm using is ADOX Fineprint - known in a previous life, I believe, as 'Varilour'.

Lachlan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The very first time I used a MW for drying FB, I was doing it in using Les's method for testing dry-down in FB prints. Although the print was so curled up as to be useless, what I did notice was that the surface was gorgeous; much tighter and glossier than air-dried prints. That sent me on a quest to mess around a bit more

What I ended up choosing as a method is the following: Take the FB print and squeeze as much water out as possible between two paper towels. After that, I put the print into the MW, on an overturned plastic plate (that lifts it off of the glass and doesn't absorb the heat). I usually 'cook' the print for about 20 seconds, reshape it a bit and keep doing 20 second intervals until the print is dry. I then put the print between mat-board for a week or so to flatten it. I really like the finish.

The next step for me will to probably get a print dryer, but for now, this works really well.

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin