Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,887   Online: 1033

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Forte RC paper special offer

I have just noticed that Silverprint ( http://www.silverprint.co.uk ) have a special offer on the Forte RC paper - 8X10 100 sheets Polygrade for £17.63 with corespondingly similar deals on larger sizes.

Sounded like a good deal as the best I could buy RC paper for before was Ilford MG for £20 / 100.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Matt. Based on this price and what people have said recently about Forte, it sounds like a great deal. Especially from a company which in my experience competes on its range of products, not on price.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser
    Thanks Matt. Based on this price and what people have said recently about Forte, it sounds like a great deal. Especially from a company which in my experience competes on its range of products, not on price.

pentaxuser
    Just remember to use a Kodak 1A safelight - nothing, repeat, nothing else will do! If this is the same as the Adox Easyprint paper just remember to develop for at least three minutes because of the thicker emulsion and lack of incorporated developer. If it is the same paper then be prepared for an incredible D-max for an RC paper!

Oops! Just realised that Easyprint is an RC version of Efke/ADOX Varycon and that Fineprint is Efke/Adox Fineprint known in a previous life as Dupont Varilour. They are both availble from Retro Photographic at very reasonable prices. The comments about safelights still apply

My apologies,

Lachlan
    Last edited by Lachlan Young; 05-18-2006 at 12:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Mea Culpa

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan Young
    Just remember to use a Kodak 1A safelight - nothing, repeat, nothing else will do! If this is the same as the Adox Easyprint paper just remember to develop for at least three minutes because of the thicker emulsion and lack of incorporated developer. If it is the same paper then be prepared for an incredible D-max for an RC paper!
    I have an Ilford 902 safelight. Is this the same? What's special about the Kodak 1A in respect of Forte paper which doesn't apply to other safelights?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an Ilford 902 safelight. Is this the same? What's special about the Kodak 1A in respect of Forte paper which doesn't apply to other safelights?

Thanks

pentaxuser
    Kodak 1A - RED

Ilford 902 - LIGHT BROWN

I don't know why this is but 902 safelights fog almost all eastern European papers - anyway you are best to follow the manufacturer's recommendation!

Hope this helps,

Lachlan

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I agree, I have used ilford paper with my safe lights on full even during printing. (a very weird feeling for me) and no problems, but with Forte, even a little light from my Thomas, fog, fog, fog.

I have put rubylith film over to help, but I think 1A is really the way to go, and then, not for very long.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall
    I have put rubylith film over to help, but I think 1A is really the way to go, and then, not for very long.
    I have to disagree with you as I work in a darkroom with six Kodak beehive type safelights and have never, ever experienced fog with Adox/Fotokemika Efke paper. Just keep the safelights a meter or so away and you'll be fine.

Hope this helps,

Lachlan

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan Young
    Kodak 1A - RED

Ilford 902 - LIGHT BROWN

I don't know why this is but 902 safelights fog almost all eastern European papers - anyway you are best to follow the manufacturer's recommendation!

Hope this helps,

Lachlan
    Thanks. So unless I get a red Kodak safelight I need to purchase a red front which is Ilford's equivalent to the Kodak. Hmmm. Unless the Forte paper is special and I become a convert then the added cost of a red filter front for the Ilford safelight means it's less of a bargain than first appeared. At least for those without red safelights.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. So unless I get a red Kodak safelight I need to purchase a red front which is Ilford's equivalent to the Kodak. Hmmm. Unless the Forte paper is special and I become a convert then the added cost of a red filter front for the Ilford safelight means it's less of a bargain than first appeared. At least for those without red safelights.

pentaxuser
    You could of course have just started out with red safelights which can be used with all papers!

Lachlan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could get hold of a GE 7.5w red bulb and hang it on a seperate cord in the D/R. Much cheaper than a red filter. Pat
    [SIZE=2]Shadow Catcher[/SIZE]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin