Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,973   Online: 832

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

J&C 100 sheet film in diafine anyone?

I bought some of that J&C 100 8x10 film that was very inexpensive because it was cut incorrectly and am going to shoot some pinhole images with it in my biscuit tin.
    Has anyone ever experimented with:
    1.Sheet film in Diafine? I thought this might be good when traveling so as to know that I captured the image as intended
    2.J&C 100 in Diafine? If so-what is the approximate speed?
    3.Diafine in a roller processor-shouldn't a diff w/diafine IN THEORY..

Thanks!
    Victor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic
    I bought some of that J&C 100 8x10 film that was very inexpensive because it was cut incorrectly and am going to shoot some pinhole images with it in my biscuit tin.
    Has anyone ever experimented with:
    1.Sheet film in Diafine? I thought this might be good when traveling so as to know that I captured the image as intended
    2.J&C 100 in Diafine? If so-what is the approximate speed?
    3.Diafine in a roller processor-shouldn't a diff w/diafine IN THEORY..

Thanks!
    Victor
    IIRC it's a thick emulsion film very close to its rated ISO of 100 - so it should build a lot of speed in Diafine as there is more emulsion for bath A to soak into. As to EI anything between EI 100-400 could be expected - shoot some and see!

When will there be another run of JandC 100? I missed out on the first run of this film.

Hope this helps,

Lachlan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've done J&C 100 sheets (2 1/4 x 3 1/4) in diafine and it turned out to be quite nice. I believe that the speed I used was 400, but I'd have to go home to find out for certain. I've never used a roller so I can't comment on that aspect...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My (non extensive) testing placed J&C 100 at e.i. 50 & 100 for best tonality. You may be able to push it a bit, shoot it at box speed first. I got nice skin tones and shadow detail when I did.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

André

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Thanks to all; all fine ideas and your work certainly bears witness to your technique.
    BTW-according to Diafine you really can't overdevelop so I imagine roller processing shouldn't make any difference..?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roller development is really not recommended. Diafine requires very little, and very gentle, agitation.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre R. de Avillez
    Roller development is really not recommended. Diafine requires very little, and very gentle, agitation.
    .................................................. .................................................. .
    That's right! Tray development it is then.. So MANY things to remember...!
    Last edited by Jersey Vic; 05-18-2006 at 04:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By the way,

I've developed 8x10 film in 8-reel (4 120 reels) stainless stell tanks before, and I imagine that it would make diafine processing easier. I simply placed 1 8x10 sheet inside the tank with the emulsion facing inwards, closed the top, and developed like I did with roll film (Filling the tank to the top with chemistry). Worked great. And since Diafine is reusable, using a lot of volume won't hurt.

Of course, you'd need a large enough tank, and you could only do 1 sheet at a time...

hope this helps,

André

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin