Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,102   Online: 1028

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The blue tape is fine if you stick it to both sides.

I believe your masking tape is not sticky enough, switch brands

Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto
    There is a form of masking tape commonly used in painting (and, curiously enough, called "painter's tape") that has an adhesive that is much less 'sticky' than ordinary masking tape. Typically, it is blue in color. I think I would be reluctant to use this to attach bulk loaded film to spools.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Matti,

I use Scotch Magic Tape.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A single width of normal masking tape, adhering both sides of the film, has worked for me for years. I've shot hundreds of rolls of bulk-loaded film and never had one come loose.

I have had the ends of the metal cassettes come loose but that's a topic for another thread

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too use the blue tape and have had no problems. As has been mentioned the trick is to have the tape wrap around so that both sides of the film are contacted. Masking tape dries out and looses its adhesiveness. I periodically test its tackiness and buy new when necessary. Freezer tape works well but is more expensive.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been using one inch wide masking tape made and sold for car painters -- this is the highest quality tape, with a strong adhesive that still peels cleanly (has to, or car painters would switch products after a single failure). I've done about 40 rolls with it, wrapped around the spool and adhered to both surfaces of the film, and never had one come loose, including with the motor drive in my Vivitar P&S. As a bonus, it fits the slight indentation in the cassette spools I use, so the film gets to load over a constant diameter core.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also let the tape stick to itself a little bit. My unscientific assumption is that it's more likely to peel off the film if it's at an angle due to peeling up the spool. With just a couple milimeters stuck to itself, it stays in contact with all the surfaces.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by derevaun
    I also let the tape stick to itself a little bit. My unscientific assumption is that it's more likely to peel off the film if it's at an angle due to peeling up the spool. With just a couple milimeters stuck to itself, it stays in contact with all the surfaces.
    IIRC that's what Kodak does too - when in doubt copy!

Lachlan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So everybody knew this! Thanks for the info. I will stick the tape to both sides of the film in the future.

/matti

Been using 4 inchs of plain masking for 45 years. Wrap around the spool and put equal amounts on both sides. The cut end needs to be right against the spool and no tape gaps or bridges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin