Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,579   Online: 1171

Thread: Curly negatives

Shooter
    35mm

Curly negatives

I have been developing B/W film for the last 20 years, but just in the moment I am phasing out of the wet darkroom, all negatives come out very curly. A drag with my expensive scanner, which focus only on part of the negative. That was not the case before. I have tried developing only with bottled water, without success. Film is TriX, developer D-76. Very basic.

Thanks in advance for the tips.

Pedro

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I normally use clips of some type to hang them when drying, this seems to help with the curling problems somewhat, when dry I put in negative sleeves in a binder to also help keep them flat.

Hope that helps.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've noticed that films that are older (date since manufacture, not necessarily date since the emulsion was designed) and that have been wound on the film spool for all that time, tend to come out with some extreme curl. This often doesn't go away even with several hours hanging with a weight at the bottom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I live in Minnesota, and it's very dry in the winter, which causes substantial curling problems. Normally I dry my film hanging above a room humidifier (not steam). That helps a lot.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depending on the type of negative sleeves or pages you use, I've found it helpful to roll them up opposite to the curl side (i.e. emulsion side out) and leave them that way for a day or two.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin