Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,951   Online: 693

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    I don't know if it would apply to the papers in question, but I remember reading an aritcle by Ctein a
    Quite right Jim, I have early RC/PE prints placed in plastic wallets/folders and the highlights have completely bleached out due to the plasticisers. Should add that only occured with Ilford & Kodak early RC/PE papers, for the professional & consumer market. The first RC/PE paper I bought was quite different and ex-militiary stock, and not so probably not designed to last but it's lasted perfectly. It might have been made by Kentmere, had more in common with the excellent Kentmere early RC paper Kenthene.

However the older FB papers are fine :-)

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    Quite right Jim, I have early RC/PE prints placed in plastic wallets/folders and the highlights have completely bleached out due to the plasticisers. Should add that only occured with Ilford & Kodak early RC/PE papers, for the professional & consumer market. The first RC/PE paper I bought was quite different and ex-militiary stock, and not so probably not designed to last but it's lasted perfectly. It might have been made by Kentmere, had more in common with the excellent Kentmere early RC paper Kenthene.

However the older FB papers are fine :-)

Ian
    After reading your post it jogged my memory about possible outgassing from matboards or plastics in the vicinity of the prints that was thought to be a possible culprit. I am going to have to dig out the old article now when I have time.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some ilford ilfospeed 3.1M that doesn't say anything about being resin or polyethylene coated. I have a few boxes that were given to me from about 1981. When left to dry, they curl up like fibre paper. I'm a little uneasy about sending them through my arkay dual-dri. It they are RC, they'll melt and ruin the drum. Does anyone know if this paper was made in fibre? I like the results it gives and would like to use it.

Rick
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace
    I have some ilford ilfospeed 3.1M that doesn't say anything about being resin or polyethylene coated.
    Rick
    Ilfospeed is a Resin coated paper, thats why the word speed is in its name, it was the RC equivalent of fibre based Ilfobrom.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    Ilfospeed is a Resin coated paper, thats why the word speed is in its name, it was the RC equivalent of fibre based Ilfobrom.

Ian
    I thought that "speed" or "rapid" in the name of a paper referred to how quickly the paper developed. My use of speed papers tends to bear this out. I thought most speed papers were developer incorporated in order to speed up development times for machine processing. I currently use some ilford rapid RC MG that fully develops in about 30-45 sec.

I have noticed that some ilfospeed paper advertised on ebay state RC on the package. The paper I have does not say RC and behaves like fibre paper.

Has anyone out there used ilfospeed paper that was not RC?
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

Have a few hundred sheets of Bromesko left, all must be 30+ years old, mostly half plate & smaller, I was going to chuck them out for silver recovery, but when I tested some I found they all printed extremely well, just a half to full grade softer than when new, probably a little slower too....

Ian
    reliving this old thread...

Ian: do you still have this bromesko paper?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Since Gandolfi's revived this, I just wanted to put a note in that I have scans of the following papers' accompanying information sheets if anyone needs or would like them. Obviously not all of the papers listed are of significant age; I'm simply too lazy to sort through them all and delete the newer papers from this list!

Agfa Brovira-Speed BS 312 PE
    Agfa Brovira-Speed BW 312 PE
    Agfa Multicontrast MCP 310 RC Glossy
    Agfa Portriga PN 114e Normal White Rough
    Agfa Portriga Rapid PRK118
    Fomaspeed Variant RC Lustre
    Ilfobrom IB2.24K Semi Matt Double Weight
    Ilfobrom IB2.26K Velvet Stipple Double Weight
    Ilfobrom IB2.35K Rayon Double Weight
    Ilfobrom IB3.1K Glossy Double Weight
    Ilfobrom IB3.1P Glossy Single Weight
    Ilfobrom IB4.26K Velvet Stipple Double Weight
    Ilford B2.K Double Weight Normal Glossy
    Ilford Bromide B2-5K Double Weight Normal Matt
    Ilford Bromide B3-1K Double Weight Hard Glossy
    Ilford Bromide B3-24K Double Weight Hard Semi Matt
    Ilford C3.1P Contact Single Weight Hard Glossy
    Ilford Galerie 21K Glossy Double Weight
    Ilford Ilfobrom 2.24K Semi-Matt Double Weight
    Ilford Ilfobrom 3.24K Semi-Matt Double Weight
    Ilford Ilfomar IM3.18K White Grained Double Weight
    Ilford MG IV RC Glossy
    Ilfospeed 2.24M Semi Matt Medium Weight
    Ilfospeed Multigrade II MG.5M Matt Medium Weight
    Kodak Polycontrast Rapid II RC F
    Kodak Polymax II RC E
    Kodak Polyprint RC F M White Smooth Glossy Medium Weight

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using some old Brovira from the 60s and Ilfospeed from the late 80s and are still giving me wonderful results. The past 3 or 4 postcard exchanges have been on these old papers. (My eyes totally popped when I used an entire unopened box of Agfa Brovira and every single sheet was perfect!)

It does depend on storage - some of the Ilfospeed has a little fog on the edges, whilst other boxes from the same batch are perfect.

How I'd love to try out Bromesko - I have adverts from some old photographic books that I have matted and framed - the Bromesko ones are particular favourites.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The old harder ilfospeeds drop contrast. I am working though a box of 4.1M that now acts more like a grade 2.

The developer incorporated papers while rapid are not always long lived. MGIII rapid paper was developer incorporated, and my stash is now all uniformly grey fogged
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Fraid I'm a newbie to this site, but I have just had a stroke of luck being given 12 boxes of Kodak Bromide papers in various sizes and grades, mostly 2 & 3 with the odd box of 1 & 4.
    I seem to have two different flavours too, 'Veribrom' and 'Kodak Bromide'. I was told they were about 20 years old, but I think they are more like 30 years +.
    So far I have tested only one sheet from one box and it shows a clean unfogged result. Judging by the weight of each box it must amount to about 700 sheets -at a guess- but I haven't opened every box yet.
    When I left home developing about 30 years ago, these papers were the norm. When I picked it up again 8 years ago, I was greeted with multigrade RC: that really did feel strange but I soon got use to it and was glad to be able to sepia tone prints on this 'new' paper.
    If it's possible to upload pictures to this page then as soon as I have some results I'll post them up.
    Looking forward to some nice rich blacks....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin