Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,666   Online: 1175

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Anyone familiar with these old papers ?

I received a box each of the following papers from a friend of a friend but know little about them. They are roughly 20 years old and all grade 3 but the boxes do not state if they are RC or Fibre.

Kodak Bromesko WSG.3D
    Agfa Brovira-Speed BN 310 PE
    Ilford Ilfospeed 3.1M

Any idea what I have ?

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thefizz
    I received a box each of the following papers from a friend of a friend but know little about them. They are roughly 20 years old and all grade 3 but the boxes do not state if they are RC or Fibre.

Kodak Bromesko WSG.3D
    Don't know but probably FB
    Agfa Brovira-Speed BN 310 PE
    Ilford Ilfospeed 3.1M
    Both are RC fixed grade papers - how well they have aged is anybody's guess.

Hope this helps,

Lachlan

The agfa is Polyethelene coated, ie RC. Never heard of the Kodak

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks guys.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Agfa and Ilford were standard RC graded papers and were around for quite a while both great papers.

The Bromesko was the paper I used in my youth, while still at school. Great graded paper, fibre based, you have the White Smooth Gloss Grade 3 Double weight

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm looking forward to trying them out, thank you all for your help.

Peter

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ilford Ilfospeed 3.1M
    My 20 years old Ilfospeed (matte) is still usable, despite being stored in room temperature. Highlight contrast is somewhat reduced, which makes it very good for some subjects! To my big surprise, it is also visibly sharper than any other paper I've tried - and I went through 20 different ones in one batch to see what was usable and what was junk.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Bromesko was the paper I used in my youth, while still at school. Great graded paper, fibre based, you have the White Smooth Gloss Grade 3 Double weight
    Bromesko! That's a rave from the grave! I too, used it in my yoof. Great paper. Was it warm tone? I don't really remember. I have an old print made on Kodak paper which I always believed to be made on Bromesko ( I was only in my early teens then, I didn't think to take notes). Anyway, it exhibits an incredibly warm tone, whatever it is.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well Blighty for the life of me I can't really understand why I didn't use Ilford paper as a kid. I do remember that the only two chemists stores in the town I went to school in both stocked Kodak Bromesko, one also stocked a little bit of Agfa too.

Nor can I remember how I bought bulk rolls of cheap FP3, & HP3, but I was to young to have a bank account. Just found a Bromesko WSG SW print I made in about 1970/71.

Have a few hundred sheets of Bromesko left, all must be 30+ years old, mostly half plate & smaller, I was going to chuck them out for silver recovery, but when I tested some I found they all printed extremely well, just a half to full grade softer than when new, probably a little slower too. Also have some boxes of Kodak Veribrom, Ilford Ilfobrom graded paper some from 67'ish and also early Ilfospeed.

Much of the paper was acquired when I bought a complete colour darkroom setup in 2000.

I should add only one brand of paper hasn't kept and that was the Sterling. That showed fogging with ageing.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if it would apply to the papers in question, but I remember reading an aritcle by Ctein about problems with early RC papers either bronzing or showing bleached out spots of the emulsion after only a few years on display. He had to replace numerous RC prints made for customers at that time. I think one of the conclusions was treating RC papers with Sistan would help prevent the problem.

I don't recall the specific time frame of his prints (maybe from the 70s) so the problems with RC he experienced may have been rectified by mfgs by the mid 80s.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin