Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,937   Online: 1204

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've wondered if Mason jars would work.
    Yes, I buy chemicals in bulk and transfer them to Mason jars. The jars are very cheap and the caps are designed to hold a vacuum. All in all they work very well. Since they are made of white glass, any developing agents and other light sensitive materials should be stored away from direct light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan
    I've wondered the same thing, and I've wondered if Mason jars would work. If kept in a cabinet, they would be away from most sunlight. That leaves the question of whether the coating on the inside of the cap is sufficient to keep the metal from affecting the chemicals. Anyone know?
    juan
    My choice is an amber glass Boston Round with a polyseal screw cap.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The coating on the lids is designed to withstand food acids such as those from fruits and tomatoes. Such food can be quit acidic. I have never had any problems with the metal lids rusting. New lids are cheap and they can be replaced each time the jar is reused.

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Does anyone know the expected life of ascorbic acid in powder form stored in a partially full plastic bottle?

And would there be any visual signs that it was going bad?

Sandy King

Virtually forever. Had a white plastic bottle for about 8 years before using it all up, and it was still cranking along just fine at the end of the bottle.

Larry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    Yes, I buy chemicals in bulk and transfer them to Mason jars. The jars are very cheap and the caps are designed to hold a vacuum. All in all they work very well.
    Your vacuum comment got me thinking about the food storage systems that pull the atmosphere from mason jars.... I could never quite rationalize one for food after seeing the cost of materials, etc but perhaps for peace of mind with some of the chemicals?
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu
    Your vacuum comment got me thinking about the food storage systems that pull the atmosphere from mason jars.... I could never quite rationalize one for food after seeing the cost of materials, etc but perhaps for peace of mind with some of the chemicals?
    I'm no scientist, but over many years of fooling with photography, I've come to the conclusion that there's probably not enough air in a glass bottle or jar to cause significant oxidation. I think the problems folks have come from plastic bottles that allow oxygen to seep in through the bottle itself. I wouldn't think there would be a need for the system. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    My choice is an amber glass Boston Round with
    a polyseal screw cap.
    Some may not know that Boston Rounds come clear
    and amber, narrow and wide mouth, and they are not
    expensive.

BTW, that should be Polyseal. Polycone is another
    similar. I'm quite sure both are trade marked names.

I've quite a few and in a range of sizes. Usually
    listed in ounces they are actually fractions of a
    liter, ie 1/2, 1/4, ... 1/16. Save for the one
    ounce which is over size.

For those unfamiliar those caps are a screw cap
    with a cork insert; PE likely. Imagine. Dan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    My ascorbic acid started showing signs of weakness after about 2-1/2 months. I estimate it had been opened close to 100 times, as I'm doing much experimentation.

This was the 100 gram version sold by PhotoFormulary.com. It came in a plastic jar about 1/3 full, so there was always plenty of new air in there to degrade the powder.

I think I'll store the new batch in a glass bottle filled with inert gas, and use it to refill a small bottle that's regularly used, which will greatly reduce the number of times the glass bottle will be opened.

There was no discoloration of the powder. It was and still is white.
    The symptoms of failure were (1) taking more time to get less density, and (2) not quite as acidic; that is, it required a little less alkali to hit a target pH.
    Also, a roll developed two weeks ago made the developer turn orange, which perhaps was due to weak ascorbic acid lacking the capacity to handle a whole roll.

Mark Overton

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin