Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,661   Online: 885

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HeliH
    Randy, what dilution do you use?
    I primarily use Rodinal at 1:200, but my preliminary experiments with FX-2 have been at 1/2 strength as Ole stated.

- Randy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    May I ask where you are getting the Pinacryptol Yellow for your FX-2? I've not been able to find any recently...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    However, contrast does increase with time of development so if I am going to give you good advice I need to know how you will be printing. Graded or VC silver papers? Pt./Pd? POP? For best results one size does not fit all.
    I will most probably use Ilford's Multigrade papers, and maybe, just Maybe old Kodak's fiber paper, contrast #2.

Uuh, what does Pt./Pd mean? POP?

Randy, a guy here in Finland makes this Pyrocat HD and FX2. I just do not know if he sells abroad. www.hopeavedos.fi (I'm afraid the site is only in Finnish). It's the second link "Kehitteet".
    - Heli

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Platinum (Pt), Palladium (Pd), Printing out paper (POP)

They are historic, or 'Alternative', printing processes.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67
    May I ask where you are getting the Pinacryptol Yellow for your FX-2? I've not been able to find any recently...

- Randy
    I don't use Pinacryptol Yellow in my FX-2.

Here is the recipe for Crawley’s FX-2:

http://www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=48

Ole wrote: “The Pinacryptol can be dropped, at the cost of slightly higher base fog. The Film Developing Cookbook suggests it should be dropped for flat-grain films (Delta, T-Max).”
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    I don't use Pinacryptol Yellow in my FX-2.

Ole wrote: “The Pinacryptol can be dropped, at the cost of slightly higher base fog. The Film Developing Cookbook suggests it should be dropped for flat-grain films (Delta, T-Max).”
    I've read that, but I never use that type of film so I was concerned about how much fog would occur. Have you compared the difference between the full formula and that without the Pinacryptol with a film like Pan F+ or FP4+? I'd be interested to see how much is 'slightly'.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67
    I've read that, but I never use that type of film so I was concerned about how much fog would occur. Have you compared the difference between the full formula and that without the Pinacryptol with a film like Pan F+ or FP4+? I'd be interested to see how much is 'slightly'.

- Randy
    Randy, I don't have densitometry for Pan F+ or FP 4+ developed in FX-2. For Efke 25 and Efke 100 developed in FX-2 with no Pincriptol Yellow, Visual Channel Base+Fog was .16 and .17 respectively.

Thus is about what I get for Base+Fog for the same emulsion numbers of Efke 25 and Efke 100 developed in Pyrocat - MC. (which I regard as a low fog developer).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Cool, thanks. I'll have to mix up some fresh without and give it a shot. Thanks for the info.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heli

A good starting place for converting from regular agitation ot semi stand is... double the time. With Xtol, Rodinal, and many others, it works quite well.

My version of semi stand is agitation every 5th minute, for 15 seconds. It keeps most of all the benefits of standing development ( tonality, acutance, etc. ) while minimizing potential problems like uneven development or streaking.

I know this is pretty general, but a start is a start.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HeliH
    I will most probably use Ilford's Multigrade papers, and maybe, just Maybe old Kodak's fiber paper, contrast #2.

Uuh, what does Pt./Pd mean? POP?

Randy, a guy here in Finland makes this Pyrocat HD and FX2. I just do not know if he sells abroad. www.hopeavedos.fi (I'm afraid the site is only in Finnish). It's the second link "Kehitteet".
    OK, here is the data I have for a couple of the films you ask about. This is based on a dilution of Pyrocat-HD of 1:1:150 for semi-stand. That is, initial agitation for 1.5 minutes, and them once again for ten seconds at the 1/2 point of total development time.

FP4+
    high contrast scenes, 25 minutes
    medium contrast scenes, 35 minutes
    low contrast scenes, 50 minutes

HP5+
    high contrast scenes, 40 minutes
    normal contrast scenes, 50 minutes
    low contrast scenes, 65 minutes

Times for TRI-X 400 should be very close to those for HP5+, but I have not tested this. I don't have anything for the other films.

Sandy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin