Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,897   Posts: 1,521,015   Online: 787

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    I get excellent results (with Kodak TMAX, Ilford Delta and EFke) with low fog levels.
    Tom,
    What sort of development times do you get with the Efke films at 20C?

Thanks,

Lachlan
    "A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous...got me?" Captain Beefheart

Shooter
    Large Format
    Tom, Gerald and Lachlan:

Thanks Guys! This all helps - lots! Now, jkust need to get some Glycin.

Oh, BTW: elsewhere on the 'net somebody has made the assertion that Metol was Glycin was basically the precursor to Metol and that Metol was superior. I took this with the usual dose of sketicism but...???? What of it? any ideas or further opinions on the matter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan Young
    Tom,
    What sort of development times do you get with the Efke films at 20C?

Thanks,

Lachlan
    I've had good results with the following variation on Ole's method:

EFKE 100, 50 & 25 With FX-2, diluted 1:1 at 20deg. C, gentle agitation for the first minute, then stand for 20 minutes without agitation, followed by gentle agitation for 30 - 40 seconds, stand for 20 minutes without agitation, followed by gentle agitation for 30 - 40 seconds, stand for 20 minutes without agitation, total time about 60 minutes.

I define gentle agitation in a small tank as gentle inversion of the tank while smoothly twisting or rotating it.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    I've had good results with the following variation on Ole's method:

EFKE 100, 50 & 25 With FX-2, diluted 1:1 at 20deg. C, gentle agitation for the first minute, then stand for 20 minutes without agitation, followed by gentle agitation for 30 - 40 seconds, stand for 20 minutes without agitation, followed by gentle agitation for 30 - 40 seconds, stand for 20 minutes without agitation, total time about 60 minutes.

I define gentle agitation in a small tank as gentle inversion of the tank while smoothly twisting or rotating it.
    Thanks for the information!

Lachlan
    "A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous...got me?" Captain Beefheart

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    BTW: elsewhere on the 'net somebody has made the assertion that Metol was Glycin was basically the precursor to Metol and that Metol was superior. I took this with the usual dose of sketicism but...???? What of it? any ideas or further opinions on the matter?
    One reads the most outrageous drivel on the net.

I am uncertain as to the meaning of "precursor to Metol", is this meant in a chronological sense or in some other manner.

Shooter
    Large Format

Dignan FX-2 formula

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    The 1971 Dignan Newsletter published a sodium carbonate version of Crawley's FX-2.

See the APUG Chemical Recipes: http://www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=48
    Does anyone have the Dignan formula handy? The above link doesn't work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Oh, BTW: elsewhere on the 'net somebody has made the assertion that Metol was Glycin was basically the precursor to Metol and that Metol was superior. I took this with the usual dose of sketicism but...???? What of it? any ideas or further opinions on the matter?
    If that were true, Ansco 130 would be just another print developer, but it has a tonality unlike any other developer and a shelf life that beats every print developer I've ever used. Glycin is no metol.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Oh, BTW: elsewhere on the 'net somebody has made the assertion that Metol was Glycin was basically the precursor to Metol and that Metol was superior.
    Actually, both Metol and Glycin are derivatives of p-Aminophenol (aka the sole reducer in Rodinal). Or, said another way, p-Aminophenol is a precursor to both Metol and Glycin.

Metol and Glycin were both 'discovered' in 1891, albeit by different people.

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderman View Post
    Does anyone have the Dignan formula handy? The above link doesn't work.
    Here is the FX-2 working solution formula that I am using. I got it directly from Patrick Dignan in 1970

Metol............................................. ..0.25 gm
    Sodium Sulfite...................................3.5 gm
    Glycin............................................ ..0.75 gm
    Sodium Carbonate monohydrate............7 gm
    Water to make...................................1 liter
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Images
    Kodalk also has good buffering. The 14.5 grams sodium hydroxide + 69 grams borax decahydrate + 16.5 grams water are equivalent to 100 grams Kodalk, close enough for government work if not for PE.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin