Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,455   Online: 1147

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: TF-4 fixer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

TF-4 fixer.

I need new fix. I'm getting sick of the Kodak Professional Fixer that I've been using. I'd like something that has a little less odor. I've been told that TF-4 may fit me well as a fixer because of the long shelf life and high economy. I'd be using it for film.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's good stuff. Very rapid acting, reduces wash and toning times, should be used without an acid stop, won't reduce the stain with staining developers. I keep one batch for film and one batch for paper, same strength.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Awesome, it's a go then. I'm resisting the urge to pick up some Pyrocat HD with that order...but I think I'll wait until this bottle of Rodinal is gone.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I like TF4, but find it does have a pretty strong ammonia odor. Doesn't bother me, but some people are sensitive to the smell of ammonia.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu
    ... but some people are sensitive to the smell of ammonia.
    I'm one of the "some people". That's why my own fixe recipe is as close to odorless as it's possible to make it

The recipe is in the recipe section here as OF-1. But it does require mixing from raw chemicals.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wouldn't mind mixing from raw chemicals...but I have no scale. I can deal with the smell of ammonia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim
    "...but I have no scale..."
    Stephanie,

There are two possibilitys :

- Mix stock solutions, in water or alcohol (isopropyl), of the ammouts you buy. For instance, in a formulla you need 10 gr. an you have a pack containing 100 gr., than mix the 100 gr. in 1 l water and use 100 cc of it. In the beginning, some calculating will be neded, but you will get used to it, and carefully take notes of your deeds.

- Buy a scale used for gunpowder (= explosives), these things are verry accurate (have to be!) and mutch cheaper than an analytical ballance. Look for one that can be converted from grains to grams. Do not use a household scale, I tryed it and these things are not constant and accurate.

Good luck,
    Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A third possibility: The quantities in fixers aren't really all that critical. So you can do what I do, and use x cups of this, y shotglasses of this, and z teaspoons of that. It works.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can find many good affordable scales at www.balances.com.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stephanie, I'm a cheapskate, so I mix TF-3 from "The Darkroom Cookbook" and get my supplies from Artcraft. TF-3 is TF-4's little brother; doesn't last quite as long, but is much cheaper to make. It has a faint ammonia smell.

You can use the grams-teaspoon conversion chart in the back of the book. Very easy to mix!

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin