Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,826   Online: 787

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Why? Because it's there, and because the commercial ones may not always be there. If I have to order and pay shipping from a place 500 miles away to get something that is made from ingredients I can buy at the country store, I'll learn how to make it myself. If the same concoction that works on film also works on prints, so much the better.

When I wrote the article "Non-chromogenic Antiscorbutic Developers for Black and White", which can still be viewed on www.unblinkingeye.com, there was one component, metol, that I could not get at small town grocery or hardware stores. P-aminophenol would have served, but I did not think of getting it from acetaminophen.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by haziz View Post
    The question is: Why?

Commercial paper developers are dirt cheap and have so far, at least for me, been easily available.

Sincerely,

Hany.
    To me its having more creative control over the photographic process than economics. I've been exclusively using one set of developer for years (d76 for film and dektol for prints).I dont have problems locating merchants for them, but there comes a point where you have to expand your skillset.

Shooter
    35mm
    I tried my 2 new batches, one has twice the original amount of potassium bromide, the other had a gram of hdroquinone. will post the results as when i scan the prints

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    YAY! I've been watching this with interest. If it works well, I may start making parodinal to use as a print developer.

Out of curiosity, what times are you using?
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I seem to remember reading that Calbe Photochemie used to reccomend dilutions of 1+5 to 1+20 for paper development - just remember that 1+20 dilution will require 5 minutes or so of development to gain enough contrast.

Hope this helps,

Lachlan
    "A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous...got me?" Captain Beefheart

Shooter
    35mm

print dev times

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    YAY! I've been watching this with interest. If it works well, I may start making parodinal to use as a print developer.

I keep them in there for a whole minute (1:10 dilution) the solution temperature is approximately 24 C (I live in the Philippines so its warmer and more humid here)

the third (2 grams of KBr per 250 ml) and fourth (+1 gram of hydroquinone per 250 ml) version of the soup gave a bit more contrast but it tamed down the tone, its still there though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post

here are images from the batch with hydroquinone. I suspect the low contrast image before was due to the film developer (have to do tests to be sure). Images were all shot with Fuji Acros 100

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The following formula is for a warm toned paper developer using Rodinal as the source for p-aminophenol. This formula appeared in a British Journal Annual during the 1950's.

Solution A

Distilled water (50°C) .................................. 750 ml
    Sodium sulfite (anhy) .................................. 37.5 g
    Citric acid ................................................. 6.9 g
    Hydroquinone ............................................ 18.3 g
    Potassium bromide ..................................... 3.4 g
    Distilled water to make ............................... 1.0 l

Solution B

Distilled water (50°C) ................................. 750 ml
    Sodium hydroxide ...................................... 18.3 g

For use, take 100 ml of A, 100 ml of B, 4 ml of Rodinal, and 400 ml of water to make a working bath. Additional bromide can be added for warmer tones.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch View Post
    The following formula is for a warm toned paper developer using Rodinal as the source for p-aminophenol. This formula appeared in a British Journal Annual during the 1950's.

Solution A

Distilled water (50°C) .................................. 750 ml
    Sodium sulfite (anhy) .................................. 37.5 g
    Citric acid ................................................. 6.9 g
    Hydroquinone ............................................ 18.3 g
    Potassium bromide ..................................... 3.4 g

Solution B

Distilled water (50°C) ................................. 750 ml
    Sodium hydroxide ...................................... 18.3 g

For use, take 100 ml of A, 100 ml of B, 4 ml of Rodinal, and 400 ml of water to make a working bath. Additional bromide can be added for warmer tones.
    aside from citric acid, all the components are present in my 4 batch of pap-hcl developer, i'll try this out and increase my KBr for a much warmer tone

sample image1
    sample image 2
    sample image 3

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

in the above formula, is the citric acid there to lower the alkalinity? if not, what is its function?

thanks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin