Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,738   Posts: 1,515,535   Online: 1072

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

parodinal as a print developer

Has anyone else tried this?

I tried it yesterday. I used the parodinal version that doesn't use potassium bromide. It gave out nicely toned prints on generic paper. I used 1:20 dilution and my usual water bath.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I haven't tried it yet, but I mean to. What you describe sounds quite similar to this recipe found in the chemistry recipe section on APUG: http://www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=220
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I"ve thought about this. I did develop Azo a few times in Rodinal 1:20.
    juan

Shooter
    35mm
    I really liked the final prints i got from this brew...I'm seriously thinking of using this as my primary print developer rather than D76. The prints I made had a warm brownish tone, I cant wait to try this with split - grade printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by marcsv
    I really liked the final prints i got from this brew...I'm seriously thinking of using this as my primary print developer rather than D76. The prints I made had a warm brownish tone, I cant wait to try this with split - grade printing.
    You use D76 for paper?

paRodinal should work with paper. I used old sheets of bromide paper to test paRodinal (if it indeed was able to develop) when I was first brewing it. The paper blackened- solid black- almost as soon as it hit the concentrated solution.

Since paRodinal is just like real rodinal, the comments from the ORWO FORMULAE book could apply- and here is a quote:

[SIZE=2][FONT=Times New Roman]"R 09 can be used even for developing photographic paper. In doing so, suitable papers show a warm tone.

Ratio of diluting : Contrast

1+5 to 1+10 : Normal
    1+20 : Soft
    1+30 to 1+40: Extra Soft (especially for two-bath developing)

Attention! durability and utilization of highly diluted R 09 developer are less than those of special paper developers."
    [/FONT][/SIZE]

Some papers, notably those marked 'rapid' RC types have hydroquinone or some other developing agent incorporated in their emulsions. As such they often need only a strong alkaline bath to start developing. These paper often show a rather warm tone when subjected to such alkaline activator baths.

Jay
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Since I'm thinking of picking up a bunch of Rodinal here shortly just in case (yeah, I know it's around, but I don't want it getting hard to find on me) I thought about experimenting with something like this after I had some experience with printing. I've heard of the really nice results, but I haven't really seen them. Anyone have some print scans that would give me an idea of how they look?
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah, I second that, let's see prints if someone has something they want to show.

EDIT: If that doesn't happen, I'll have to get around to do some myself and post. But that'll take a few days or a week...
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm

print sample using parodinal ans print developer

Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    Yeah, I second that, let's see prints if someone has something they want to show.

EDIT: If that doesn't happen, I'll have to get around to do some myself and post. But that'll take a few days or a week...
    as requested

jay: sorry 'bout that, I meant to write dektol not D76
    here's one of the first prints, i'll post more in a few days
    Image sample
    Last edited by marcsv; 09-18-2006 at 07:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    Another consideration. p-aminophenol, the agent of either Rodinal or Parodinal, is synergistic with either hydroquinone or sodium ascorbate. 4 grams (1 teaspoon) of ascorbate in a liter of 1+50 Rodinal is about as active as 1+25 Rodinal. If you use hydroquinone, control the color of the print by adding more or less sulfite.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    Another consideration. p-aminophenol, the agent of either Rodinal or Parodinal, is synergistic with either hydroquinone or sodium ascorbate. 4 grams (1 teaspoon) of ascorbate in a liter of 1+50 Rodinal is about as active as 1+25 Rodinal. If you use hydroquinone, control the color of the print by adding more or less sulfite.
    Actually the next stage would be adding hydroquinone. The soup i used didn't use potassium bromide, I'm thniking of using by newest batch whech has about a gram of potassium bromide for every 250 ml. how would this affect the print?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin