Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,732   Online: 805

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

HC-110 equivalent

I am using up the last of my HC-110, and don't want to buy more. Can anybody advise me on which of the Ilford liquid concentrates most closely resemble HC-110 in its characterestics?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrennan13 View Post
    I am using up the last of my HC-110, and don't want to buy more.
    Just curious, why don't you want to purchase more?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am using up the last of my HC-110, and don't want to buy more. Can anybody advise me on which of the Ilford liquid concentrates most closely resemble HC-110 in its characterestics?
    Ilford Ilfotec HC is the nearest Ilford equivalent, also Tetenal Neopress HC.
    These have a fine reputation, although I am curious why someone would wish to discontinue with HC-110 for a similar product.

Thanks for the replies.

When Kodak decided to cease production of B&W paper, I decided to cease buying their products, and switch back to Ilford. If Ilford will continue to manufacture the products that photographers want to buy to continue traditional B&W photography, then I will give them all of my business.

Kodak manufactures (for the time being) fine B&W film and chemicals. I suspect that their continued manufacture is linked to other segments of their markets, such as aerial film manufacture, motion picture film manufacture, and, circuit board manufacture. I don't expect that manufacture of Kodak B&W film will continue forever, whereas Ilford has committed themselves to staying in production.

The management of Eastman Kodak made a business decision to discontinue manufacture of B&W paper. It was just that--a business decision. I understand their decision, and I respect it.

I, too, have made a business decision...and they will have to respect my decision. And please, don't anybody give me the, "if nobody buys Kodak's product, then they surely will discontinue manufacture of it" baloney. If they have bailed on B&W film, can the rest of their conventional products be very far behind?

BTW, I also own Kodak stock...which, when I get off my backside, I plan to sell, at market value.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilfotec may be what is 'equivilent' but I find that in 'usage' ilfosol-S was closest (was able to dilute from concentrate), except I Think you have to use more chemistry on most of ilford stuff than the concentrated HC-110. (1:9 vs 1:31 or even 1:119).

Also if I am not mistaken Kodak doesnt even make their own chemistry anymore, but rather this one specialty chemistry group operating a factory that Kodak once owned and just putting out product with kodak's name on it. So by boycotting you are not hurting kodak at all but rather a chemical company making both their own and some for kodak.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I, too, have made a business decision...and they will have to respect my decision. And please, don't anybody give me the, "if nobody buys Kodak's product, then they surely will discontinue manufacture of it" baloney. If they have bailed on B&W film, can the rest of their conventional products be very far behind?
    I don't think you will get too many people who disagree with you.

I still have a lot of HC110 on my shelves and since I use it mostly diluted 1:100 it will be a while before I need more. I have been experimenting with Ilford and Clayton chemicals on and off for the last year. You got to keep your options open.

I would be very interested in how the Iford HC compares to the Kodak..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244 View Post
    Ilfotec may be what is 'equivilent' but I find that in 'usage' ilfosol-S was closest (was able to dilute from concentrate), except I Think you have to use more chemistry on most of ilford stuff than the concentrated HC-110. (1:9 vs 1:31 or even 1:119).
    This is only true for LC29 which is prediluted Ilfotec HC. With Ilfotec HC you use the same dilutions as with HC110. I have quite extensive experience with the former as well as the latter and couldn't find a big difference. If looking for a concentrate with lower viscosity than the sirups from Kodak and Ilford try Tetenal Neopress HC.

best

Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When Kodak decided to cease production of B&W paper, I decided to cease buying their products.
    Isn't this a classic example of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

If everyone stops buying Kodak then this will guarantee that Kodak will stop manufacturing photographic products period.

BTW, you have been partially successful, Kodak has ceased manufacturing their own chemicals and leased the operation to another company.

A smaller company like Ilford is better suited to keep us in B&W film and chemistry than a company like Kodak. Actually by keeping Ilford more solvent your more or less making sure we have these products longer. That's why Agfa spun Agfa Consumer off. It makes the stocks looks bad. They could have kept that division afloat for years. That's what Kodak will certainly do, if Ilford is given the business now, they will be there in the future. I certainly don't like loosing some of Kodaks products (I certainly didn't like losing Agfa, either) but you have to try and be there for the long haul, and at this point in time it looks like Ilford.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin