Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,771   Posts: 1,516,530   Online: 812

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

dissolving Ammonium Thiosulphate

I saw that the PF now carries ammonium thiosulfate in powdered form. Purchasing the powder is much more economical than shipping a gallon of 60% solution. Des anyone know if I will run into issues when mixing my own 60% solution? How easily does the powder form dissolve in water?

Regards,
    Don Sigl
    www.drs-fineartphoto.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It dissolves very easily. Just remember that a 60% solution is super-saturated: It's full of gunky undissolved stuff. Just like TF-4 concentrate, in fact...

My main use of the powder has been in the "addon processing" - develop in very dilute developer (Rodinal 1+100 or more, Neofin, Beutlers, 1/2 strength FX-2 and similar), then instead of stop and fix, I just dump in a few teaspoons of ammonium thiosulfate dissolved in a little water. Works like a dream, and is great when I need to cut down on processing times.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I get the stuff in 50kg containers. (about 105lbs) It saves me a fortune on fix.

I warm up the water to around 25C and just keep mixing until it wont mix anymore. I store that in gallon containers until needed. ( I add a couple buffers to it as well, but it's fairly unnecessary)
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by don sigl View Post
    I saw that the PF now carries ammonium thiosulfate in powdered form. Purchasing the powder is much more economical than shipping a gallon of 60% solution. Des anyone know if I will run into issues when mixing my own 60% solution? How easily does the powder form dissolve in water?

Regards,
    The classic trick is to put the thiosulphate in a cloth bag suspended in the top of the vessel and leave it overnight; it will have dissolved in the morning. I have to admit this is hearsay only so I do not know if it works, but it should for any reasonable concentration.

Where 60% is a reasonable concentration or not is another matter. I assume you dilute the stuff for use so why not mix it at working strength?

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com -- look at the free 'hints and tips' module in the Photo School for other idea).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember that when you add it to water, it will get cold. Hypos in general are endothermic, or that is, they absorb heat. That is why you start with warm water to mix hypo from scratch.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I seem to remember that the anhydrous thiosulfates are slightly exothermic when being dissolved. This is in contrast to sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate which is definitly endothermic. However, it has been a long time since I used any anhydrous ammonium thiosulfate. I do remember that this salt will absorb water from the air and harden like concrete. It is very important to keep it well closed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch View Post
    I seem to remember that the anhydrous thiosulfates are slightly exothermic when being dissolved. This is in contrast to sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate which is definitly endothermic. However, it has been a long time since I used any anhydrous ammonium thiosulfate. I do remember that this salt will absorb water from the air and harden like concrete. It is very important to keep it well closed.
    Gerald, from my experience, no thiosulfate is truly anhydrous! Open the bottle of "anhydrous" hypo and it is hydrated to the extent of the humidity of the packing plant.

Fortunately, it is rather dry in Montana, where the Formulary is located.

PE

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Even in wet and humid Western Norway, I haven't had any problems with the anhydrous thiosulfates clumping. The sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate, however...

I think Gerald's correct, and it's the pentahydrate that's endothermic on dissolving. Anhydrous ammonium thiosulfate seems to be slightly exothermic, although I have no measurements to back this up. Just that it seems about "normal" when I mix a little of it in a little water.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    The classic trick is to put the thiosulphate in a cloth bag suspended in the top of the vessel and leave it overnight; it will have dissolved in the morning. I have to admit this is hearsay only so I do not know if it works, but it should for any reasonable concentration.

Where 60% is a reasonable concentration or not is another matter. I assume you dilute the stuff for use so why not mix it at working strength?

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com -- look at the free 'hints and tips' module in the Photo School for other idea).
    Hmmm .... working srength is 4:1. I guess I could just mix it by the gallon that way.
    Good idea

Thanks
    Don Sigl
    www.drs-fineartphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm

ammonium thiosulphate powder, here in the UK?

Hi, I'm looking for some ammonium thiosulphate powder - does anyone know of a supplier here in the UK?
    Kind regards
    Tony

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin