Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,913   Online: 1211
      
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
  1. #11
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,037
    Images
    65
    Les, I agree. See the last sentence in my post above yours.

    PE

  2. #12
    kwmullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Denton, TX, US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    889
    Images
    16
    Just wanted to add a report that I mixed up a divided Ansco 130 as per this post between 1-2 years ago, but haven't had my darkroom back up until yesterday. It being a Sunday, and not having any options for buying paper developer, I decided to try my old and somewhat oxidized divided Ansco 130 a try.

    FIrst I ran an unexposed piece of paper through it to test for chemical fog. Then, I exposed a piece of paper to room light and ran it to test for activity, and they came out as paper white and maximum black, respectively. Then I (or rather Dianna... she got to use the darkroom first) started running prints, and as expected, during a minute in bath "A", no image came up, then promptly after a few moments in bath "B" (mixed fresh... just 3oz of A&H Washing Soda and 1L water) the images came up with great tonality.

    If this stuff can sit in a bottle in an un air-conditioned room for the better part of two years, and work like this, I'm sold.

    -KwM-

  3. #13
    juan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    St. Simons Island, Georgia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,641
    Images
    4
    I've been using divided 130 for about a year now, based on posts on APUG - same A solution over that time. I've used it with Ilford MGIV and Kentmere Bromide (both of which have incorporated developers) and JandC Polywarmtone (which does not have incorporated developers).

    Since I'm too cheap to turn on the air conditioning or the heat, my darkroom temperature can vary greatly. This method of developing seems to overcome the need for precise temperature control.

    So far, this is my second favorite paper developer - second only to MAS amidol.
    juan

  4. #14
    blackmelas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Corinth, Greece
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    353
    Images
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet View Post
    Just wanted to add a report that I mixed up a divided Ansco 130 as per this post between 1-2 years ago, but haven't had my darkroom back up until yesterday. It being a Sunday, and not having any options for buying paper developer, I decided to try my old and somewhat oxidized divided Ansco 130 a try.

    FIrst I ran an unexposed piece of paper through it to test for chemical fog. Then, I exposed a piece of paper to room light and ran it to test for activity, and they came out as paper white and maximum black, respectively. Then I (or rather Dianna... she got to use the darkroom first) started running prints, and as expected, during a minute in bath "A", no image came up, then promptly after a few moments in bath "B" (mixed fresh... just 3oz of A&H Washing Soda and 1L water) the images came up with great tonality.

    If this stuff can sit in a bottle in an un air-conditioned room for the better part of two years, and work like this, I'm sold.

    -KwM-
    This is interesting but I missed the motive of splitting the 130 in the first thread. I assume you can control the contrast a little by pulling it from the B bath sooner or leaving it cook longer? or no, you are looking to bring out better separation in the high and low values of the print? or is it simply that you can leave it for a long time, thus preventing your glycin from spoiling in powder form?
    Best regards,
    James

  5. #15
    kwmullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Denton, TX, US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    889
    Images
    16
    Dividing the developer serves to extend the useful life, and also to provide for maximim repeatability. I've read here (haven't gotten a chance to use it that way yet) that divided print developer is great for batch processing in print exchanges, especially things like postcard exchanges, where you want to process a stack of prints at one time. Just make sure everything gets well-soaked in "A", then well soaked in "B" and they will should be very uniform in comparison.

    Also, from what I've read, the only way "A" will go bad is when it's carried off the print into "B". As long as you've got enough volume of "A" to process prints, it should work just the same (AFAIK, YMMV).

    "B" is nothing more than grocery store stuff -- just three ounces of washing soda disolved in water to make on liter of solution. WHen you're B is used up, just make more on the spot.

    To my mind, the only downside is you need room for one more tray (unless you're doing single-tray or Nova processor development or something like that).

    -KwM-

  6. #16
    blackmelas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Corinth, Greece
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    353
    Images
    24
    Repeatability sounds like a great benefit. I'll have to try it for the next postcard exchange. I must have ruined half a dozen trying to batch process for Round 6.
    Thanks,
    James

    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet View Post
    Dividing the developer serves to extend the useful life, and also to provide for maximim repeatability. I've read here (haven't gotten a chance to use it that way yet) that divided print developer is great for batch processing in print exchanges, especially things like postcard exchanges, where you want to process a stack of prints at one time. Just make sure everything gets well-soaked in "A", then well soaked in "B" and they will should be very uniform in comparison.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,879
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    I've been using divided 130 for about a year now, based on posts on APUG - same A solution over that time. I've used it with Ilford MGIV and Kentmere Bromide (both of which have incorporated developers) and JandC Polywarmtone (which does not have incorporated developers).

    Since I'm too cheap to turn on the air conditioning or the heat, my darkroom temperature can vary greatly. This method of developing seems to overcome the need for precise temperature control.

    So far, this is my second favorite paper developer - second only to MAS amidol.
    juan
    Thanks for the feedback juan and -KwM-

    Glad to hear the recipe is working for you!
    Tom Hoskinson
    ______________________________

    Everything is analog - even digital :D

  8. #18
    juan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    St. Simons Island, Georgia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,641
    Images
    4
    I should probably add that I used regular Ansco 130 1:1 for paper, so when I mixed the A solution for divided 130, I diluted the formula with another liter of water, making a working solution of 2-liters. That's what I've been using for a year.
    juan

  9. #19
    kwmullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Denton, TX, US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    889
    Images
    16
    Hrm... I wonder if I could carry the idea of having a divided developer over to the two bath developer arena? Would there be merit in mixing up Ansco 120 (sans carbonate) and using Ansco 130 (same deal) as soft and hard developers, respectively, then using a common "B" bath with them?

    Hrm.. now that I write it all out, maybe not. Maybe the entire idea behind two bath developing / using a hard and soft developer is to develop by inspection -> distinctly contrary to the one-fixed-level-of-development provided by a divided developer.

    Thoughts?

    Btw -- I neglected to give Tom Hoskinson his due. Thanks, Tom, for answering all my inane questions about divided developers over the past couple of years. I got everything I wanted when we souped prints in divided Ansco 130 yesterday after the stock solution had been sitting on the shelf for months and months and months.

    -KwM-

  10. #20
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,037
    Images
    65
    I'm working on a developer myself to address the problem of long life and large capacity. At present, it has about 4x the capacity of the same amount of Dektol and the same curve shape. It lasts in the tray about 4x longer as well.

    I'm still running tests.

    PE

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin