Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,158   Online: 994

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Gerald, I stand corrected.
    I thought that having some p-aminophenol base helped with keeping the activity even though it looks like pepsi
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Could we make a step further and react it with chloroacetic acid in order to obtain photo-glycin (N-(p-hydroxyphenil) aminoacetic acid) ?

Just curious
    luben

Shooter
    35mm
    I read somewhere that we can convert the excess of NaOH to Borax by the addition of Boric acid. What is the implication of the presence of borax in this brew?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dear all,
    Really intrigued by this formula, so I made some up today following Donald Quall's post: 6 Paracetmol tabs 500mg, 4g Sodium hydroxide and 10g sodium sulphite in 50ml of water. I haven't tried it yet, but at the moment it doesn't look to have changed colour and indeed looks very cloudy, thick and colourless. Is this usual?
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    YOu actually have to wait 3 or 4 days before it is ready to be used.
    The change from acetaminphen to p-aminophenol is quite slow at room temperature I believe
    Mama took my APX away.....

Images
    There may also be some inert but insoluble filler in the tablets that may cloud the solution.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    There may also be some inert but insoluble filler in the tablets that may cloud the solution.
    That is usually the case when you use acetaminophen tablets instead of the powdered form.

blighty,
    I usually give the brew 48 hourss for the conversion of acetaminophen to p-aminophenol. the precipitate will not harm the film emulsion when you dilute the solution (to my experience that is)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I processed a roll of HP5 for 11 mins 1+50 yesterday. It works! The negs didn't come out I as I expected (to be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect). The negs looked a bit thin, but closer inspection showed pretty good shadow detail with admirably restrained (if a little anaemic) highlights, a consequence I suppose of the !+50 dilution. Not sure if I'll use it again, but it's nice to know if the photographic chemistry industry goes tits up then I've got a readily available alternative.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, you are absolutely right, I think. I intended to do the same, now I am sure it will work. What kind of paracetamol did you use? Tablets? And what about the other stuff contained in the tablets?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello hjesus and welcome to APUG. You probably already know this is an old thread so you may need to start a new one. Just a thought.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin