Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,210   Online: 782

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Rodinal: Dilutions

What are the diffrences between 1:25,1:50 and 1:100?
    What one is the best?
    I am using tri-x in 35mm
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I did a test with 4x5 FP4+ and didn't see a great difference. I would think that with a smaller format the differences would be greater, and perhaps with different film you would also get somewhat different results.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One difference is economy. With higher dilutions, you will be getting more mileage out of the dev.

Another reason for diluting is to help contol contrast in the the negative; the highlights will be more under control.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "ORWO Formulae" had this to say about Rodinal (R09) dilution:

"Little diluted R09 works fast and leads to high contrast negatives. For that reason, dilution ration 1+10 is recommended for largesize plates and films only. More diluted R09 achieves a lower contrast. For miniature negatives the dilution ratio should be at least 1+40. In order to get extremely fine negatives dilution can be extended up till 1+200. The grain will become finer and the speed utilization stands provided the developing time is extended accordingly. Highly diluted R09 can be used only once."
    "Little diluted" would mean lower water + concentrate solutions. "Speed utilization stands provided that developing time...." would mean that the exposure index/ISO/film speed of the film can be used as published when developing times are extended (perhaps up to 50%) when developing in highly diluted (1+100 and up) solutions.

High dilutions give compensating effects, "tamed" highlights, finer grain, extra perceived sharpness and usually, lower emulsion speeds. At 1+40 or 1+50, the film speed remains quite constant.

Jay
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have found that the best overall dilution for Rodinal to be 1:50. For Calbe R09, which is a bit weaker the ratio would be 1:40. I would consider 1:100 to be the practical limit. Past this point one risks the chance of exagerated edge effects which can be visually rather unpleasant.

Of course, dilution also determines the developing time which can be excessive with higher dilutions.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Gerald

How do you agitate, I just twist about once every 5 mins 1:100? After 20 mins or so I empty fill with water and leave another 5-10 mins.

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even at 1:100 I give one gentle inversion every minute. If the film sits for too long without agitation you also get the exaggerated edge effects. While edge effects can increase the perception of sharpness in a print, once they become readily apparent to the eye the advantage is negated.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    i have just used panf in R09 @1;200 for 1.5hrs with inversion every 30 mins and the negs look great!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlapp View Post
    i have just used panf in R09 @1;200 for 1.5hrs with inversion every 30 mins and the negs look great!
    How do the prints look?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like pan f in rodinal 1:200 for 2 hours,
    thin negs, but really nice to print
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin