Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,605   Online: 1320

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    I used to use a lot of 100' rolls of tri-x when I was a photo student at Emily Carr in Vancouver. What I noticed is that the bulk film was essentially movie film and had a base that was denser than the individual rolls of tri-x available at the same time (this was in the late 1980s). This meant that the bulk film required more enlarger exposure than the single rolls. If you are very finicky about this, you may wish to compare and see if this is still the case now.

I loved the old Tri-X and used to make 30x40" and 40x50" mural portraits - but I found that the denser base of Tri-X was giving me really long exposure times ( well over 5 minutes ). This was a drag as for dodging and edge-burning I was using large pieces of black cardstock. Imagine holding a 16 x 20" piece of matte board at arm's length for a couple minutes to burn each of the four edges. So I switched to Plus-X which had a much clearer base and it allowed for at least a 1/2 reduction in enlarger times.

I agree, it is becoming a drag to find stuff for LF and analog in Vancouver. I pretty much stick to eBay, Calumet, and other online sources.

Best thing to do is get a lifetime supply once you know what you like. I fear it won't be getting any better for LF folks.

Thorney

Shooter
    Large Format
    Those 40x50" portraits were done with 4x5 film.
    http://www.sfu.ca/~thorne for a sample portrait of Garth Butcher!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the tip Matt.The availability of 120 "down east" is fading.Carson Mosher in Moncton,N.B closed last year.I'll give Don's a shot.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don's is good. They have a store here in Regina and while they often don't have what I need in stock, they can get it from their Winnipeg warehouse in just a couple of days. The prices are always fair. Their prices on Ilford stuff seem particularly reasonable.

They have gone pretty heavily digital but they still support film so I still support them. I mail order what they can't get.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thought I'd revive my own thread on this.

I was in ABC Photocolour on Monday and enquired about their 120 film stocks. Sadly, no Plus-X (one can hope) but they did have new TMY. They indicated that with their new ownership the markup on film had been reduced a bit. I was able to buy TMY at $5.09 per roll, after they applied their 10% discount for purchases of 10+ quantity - not bad for in-store prices in Canada.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In the Toronto area, there's still Silvano and FilmPlus, the former usually a bit cheaper but the latter often better stocked.

http://www.silvanoimaging.com/

http://www.filmplus.ca/

Henry's and Vistek have really dried up as film sources. TIW's film selection fits comfortably inside a small bar fridge now. Off to B&H when/if the buck gets healthier this winter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In late June, early July, bought some TriX 120 from Henry's website, good experience. Then, mid August, no longer in stock ??? So, I bought what I needed from B&H, fast and efficient delivery to Montreal. The stores in Montreal do not have webstores, and I will not drive downtown to get film. Perhaps I will try some of those that are mentioned in this thread.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    In the Toronto area, there's still Silvano and FilmPlus, the former usually a bit cheaper but the latter often better stocked.

http://www.silvanoimaging.com/

http://www.filmplus.ca/

Henry's and Vistek have really dried up as film sources. TIW's film selection fits comfortably inside a small bar fridge now. Off to B&H when/if the buck gets healthier this winter.
    Henry's main store in Toronto, on Church Street, used to have a huge selection of film, chemicals, papers, darkroom gear etc. Every time I get down there, it seems the selection is smaller and the prices are larger, eventually it will disappear all together. These days though, living in a rural area, everything needs to be ordered from somewhere, and whether it comes from Toronto, Montreal or Winnipeg is immaterial.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Henry's has a lot of different outlets to make up an order and the last time I ordered chemicals it took 4 working days to get to the west coast. I found that the $$ was quite reasonable. Great supply of used camera equipment as well.
    whether it comes from Toronto, Montreal or Winnipeg is immaterial.
    My sentiments exactly
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 10-11-2011 at 12:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin