Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,020   Online: 686

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canadian source for Kodak roll film

I thought I'd pass on info about a good experience I recently had with a Canadian source for film - Don's Photo.

In recent years I have been having more and more trouble finding 120 film from Canadian sources that is both easily accessed, and at reasonable prices.

I strongly prefer Kodak materials, so that is what I'm generally looking for.

I recently was able to find 120 Plus-X at what I consider to be a very reasonable cost ($3.72/roll CDN in propacks) from Don's Photo. My order was larger than their stock on hand, but communication was almost instant, they gave me the option to cancel my order, and when I asked them to fill it anyways they brought in more stock and filled my order very quickly. Their shipping charge (usually $10.00 CDN) is very reasonable as well.

Their website is http://www.donsphoto.com/.

They have not, as yet, added darkroom supplies to their site, but they indicate that they intend to. I don't see any sign of any LF materials on the website, but I wonder if a telephone enquiry might yield different results.

I have no connection with them - just had a good customer experience - and I do like to support Canadian sources when I can.

If this thread should be in a different forum, please move it.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good thing to know, Matt. You know the real cultural difference between Québec and ROC is that in here photo stores don't even bother making an online storefront. I can't believe how much money they're losing by not doing so. The best pro shops in Montréal barely have online listings of what brands they sell!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

I will second Matt's plug for Don's. Good service, good prices. In Winnipeg, there are two Don's locations. We are also lucky enough to have another very good store, Photo Central. They probably stock more darkroom stuff than just about anywhere in Canada that I have been to....lots of Agfa paper and chems still on the shelves.

Their film selection is very good as well. Heck, they even have a fairly good lot of Agfa colour films in the fridge.

Their website is http://www.photocentral.ca/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
    Their film selection is very good as well. Heck, they even have a fairly good lot of Agfa colour films in the fridge.
    It's too bad they don't have "color" film because I think the americans really like it, whatever it may be...
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Good thing to know, Matt. You know the real cultural difference between Québec and ROC is that in here photo stores don't even bother making an online storefront. I can't believe how much money they're losing by not doing so. The best pro shops in Montréal barely have online listings of what brands they sell!
    With respect to Quebec online photo stores, you can check http://www.photococan.com/index.htm

They also have an ebay store:
    http://stores.ebay.ca/photococan_W0Q...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I have never ordered from them, but some of their prices seem extraordinairy.. Once my batch of film is gone, I will definately try them..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Photo Central in Winnipeg is one of the best shops I've been to anywhere. Lots of stock, very knowledgeable staff, a gallery featuring local photographers and a great collection of classic cameras. I don't know if they do much on-line business. I haven't had the same experience at Don's. Way too much emphasis on digital in their stores. The Don's in Brandon stopped carrying any film supplies, so my business goes elsewhere.
    I used Photoco recently and was very impressed with the speed in which they get their goods to you. My online order went in Tuesday, and was at my door Friday (from Quebec to Manitoba).
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Henrey's in ontario is very good
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Photo Central had Rodinal (and other Agfa products) for sale all the while that the $80.00/bottle thing was going on. They never raised their price or tried to make a killing on Ebay (although I wouldn't have blamed them). I bought about 5 litres there while visiting family last January. They still had lots of stock in the back. I must say I have had good value and service from Don's online for 120 Kodak film and 35mm Kodachrome. For instore, Photo Central is tops.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a 100' roll of Tri-X from Photoco a few weeks ago. It was significantly cheaper than I can get it from Henry's or Downtown Camera (Toronto), even after shipping. They got confused with my order at first but quickly rectified the problem.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    In Calgary I can always get 120 film from the Camera Store. Prices are OK.

Suneal Cameras downtown have good stock but forget the store in the Sunridge Mall. I asked once and the guy said and I quote" why would you want film, go digital, it is better". (They do have a box of Verichrome 120 rolls in the fridge though)

Vistek can usually source LF film and 120 film in a few days from the Toronto store and they do have a decent stock on hand in most stores.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin