Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,769   Posts: 1,516,494   Online: 765

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    A few years ago, I read on one of the alt-photo mailing lists, that someone processed film with Charles River water.
    that's pretty cool!
    i've heard of making salt prints out of sea water ... but not processing film in charles river water

-- john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    that's pretty cool!
    i've heard of making salt prints out of sea water ... but not processing film in charles river water

-- john
    John-

If someone will let me know which side of the dam to draw from, I'll bottle you some today.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hehe, if I tried to process anything in the Delaware river, I think the polymer base would dissolve

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    have a small bottle (100ml) of rodinal for developer.
    dont know about fixer
    Although you can't get either from a grocery store, a premeasured amount of a concentrated developer(liquid or powder), and a premeasured amount of a concentrated fixer(liquid or powder), a minute amount of wetting agent and a decent water source(stop and wash) would be all you need. Sort of a one shot processing kit. Make up as many as you think you will need, or are willing to carry.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Caffinol - is instant coffee and washing soda (sodium Carbonate)- both from the grocery store - I don't remember how many spoons of each - does tri-x in 18 minutes I think. Fixer is pool chlorine reducer (sodium Thiosulphate) - have to go to a pool store I think - most grocery stores only carry a few pool chems and this usually is not one of them. Sodium Carbinate is also often pool - Ph up. So - it is quite feasable to do grocery store film developing. It will likely be a little low on the contrast and will be a stained neg.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks. I was thinking of the tylenol approach to development, and I usually use water for a stopbath (efke 25)...So the fixer was holding me back. But pool stores seem pretty common, maybe I'll give it a shot this evening (I wonder if Walmart carries it, I know they carry chlorine...). On second thought, I wonder if the stuff pet stores sell to get the chlorine out of aquarium water is sodium thiosulphate ?
    Last edited by SteveH; 11-06-2006 at 12:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Also,
    Any thoughts on subsitituting Ascorbic Acid in the place of the Sodium Sulfite ?

Thanks again.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For the fixer, it looks like success CAN be found in the pet store; as I found this:
    http://www.fritzpet.com/chlrem.html

"....sodium thiosulfated based solution..."

Now I just have to get the mixing quanities correct. Im thinking I'll start with 4 parts water with 1 part chlorine remover on a blank sheet of film and see what happens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Any thoughts on subsitituting Ascorbic Acid in the place of the Sodium Sulfite ?
    You might find it informative to read Patrick Gainer's article on Unblinking Eye, Non-chromogenic Antiscorbutic Developers for Black-and-White (originally published in Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques). He started thinking along those same lines and created some simple sulfite-free formulas -- but his developers use phenidone or metol. I'd speculate that it might be possible to do something similar using p-aminophenol derived from Tylenol, but I've not tried this, and I can't be sure it'd work.

On the same site, there's another Gainer formula described in a sidebar in Appreciating Rodinal. That formula includes p-aminophenol hydrochloride, ascorbic acid, sodium sulfite, and sodium hydroxide. I'm sure it'd be possible to create a Parodinal-style variant, but this formula does include sodium sulfite. I have no idea what the effect of eliminating it would be.

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    All,
    Im not quite sure why Im on this whim...But here we go:
    I want to be able to have the option of developing film at anytime, anywhere (que 007 music...). So, what are some formulas that I can make; using items found only at the common grocery store ? Im not even sure if this is really possible....but...
    Paracetamol could be made using Tylenol tablets, Lye, and _______. I need to find a substitute/source for NaSO3 (Sodium Sulfite). I know of the caffenol recipe too; but I tend to shy away from staining developers.
    The stopbath can be vinegar. Other suggestions ?
    As for the fixer, Im at a loss. I think this may be the sand in the gearbox.

Thoughts ?
    I won't speak for the fixer; you may have to get your thiosulfate and/or sulfite elsewhere than your grocery store. But it is very possible to get most of your developer ingredients there (if not at your "common" grocery store, then at your "natural foods" grocery store. I've been doing it for years.

Arm & Hammer Washing soda=sodium carbonate
    Baking soda=sodium bicarbonate
    (combined in a certain way--see Gainer's articles or posts on this-- you can make sodium metaborate)

Vitamin C crystals or powder=ascorbic acid.

90% isopropyl alcohol for dissolving and preserving your Phenidone.

Myself, I'd forget the Tylenol and just buy your Phenidone from Formulary or somewhere.

Larry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin