Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,613   Online: 896

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post

Vitamin C crystals or powder=ascorbic acid.

Larry

Sometimes! I'm no chemist, but I recall reading here that there are several forms of Vit. C that are good for the body, but not so hot for developing.

My local health store sells a Vit. C powder that is good for me, but when mixed leaves a healthy amount of precipitate and doesn't do as good a job on film/paper that "proper forms" of Vit. C do. Others more knowledgeable in the specific names can fill us in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Sometimes! I'm no chemist, but I recall reading here that there are several forms of Vit. C that are good for the body, but not so hot for developing.

My local health store sells a Vit. C powder that is good for me, but when mixed leaves a healthy amount of precipitate and doesn't do as good a job on film/paper that "proper forms" of Vit. C do. Others more knowledgeable in the specific names can fill us in.
    when i make my caffenol C
    i use store brand washing soda
    and whole foods vit. c. (THANKS WHITEY!)
    i don't think there is much else in there and i have only had one
    problem with coffee based developer

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
    Myself, I'd forget the Tylenol and just buy your Phenidone from Formulary or somewhere.
    For most practical purposes (as opposed to the novelty value of being able to develop film using materials you buy at a grocery store), this is good advice. Keep in mind, too, that phenidone in particular is used in very small quantities, so a little bit goes a long way. To give an example, Mytol uses 0.15g per liter. If you dilute it 1+1 and use 250ml of working solution to develop a roll of film, that works out to 0.01875g per roll. Photographer's Formulary (to use the retailer you mention) sells 1 pound (453.6g) of phenidone for $78.74. That amount will then process 24,197 rolls of film. Assuming a (huge for hobbyist) 10 rolls a day photography "habit," that works out to a 6.6-year supply of phenidone for $78.74. Assuming a more sedate 1-roll-a-day shooting speed, your $78.74 purchase will last for 66 years. Of course, you can also buy phenidone in smaller quantities, if you're not looking a lifetime supply! If you just want to hedge your bets against photochemistry becoming hard to come by, you could stock up on phenidone and then plan on making simple formulas, such as PC-Glycol, using your stock of phenidone and locally-bought ingredients.

Of course, the quantities of other developing agents used in common formulas vary. Metol-based formulas typically use about ten times as much metol as phenidone-based formulas use phenidone, for instance. Thus, you might need to buy more of such agents if you want to use developers based around them.

IMHO, the main practical advantage of formulas like Caffeinol and Parodinal is for people who live in areas where phenidone, metol, and other such items are hard to find. A second advantage would be if you need to mix something up on the spot and on short notice for some reason.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Another update:
    Thanks to Ron, I will be finding my supply of sulfite and thiosulfite @ the local pool supply. While this isn't a grocery store item, pool supply houses are much more common than a photography supply store, so almost anywhere in the US there should be one close by.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin