Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,790   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

How To: Negs from a Grocery Store

All,
    Im not quite sure why Im on this whim...But here we go:
    I want to be able to have the option of developing film at anytime, anywhere (que 007 music...). So, what are some formulas that I can make; using items found only at the common grocery store ? Im not even sure if this is really possible....but...
    Paracetamol could be made using Tylenol tablets, Lye, and _______. I need to find a substitute/source for NaSO3 (Sodium Sulfite). I know of the caffenol recipe too; but I tend to shy away from staining developers.
    The stopbath can be vinegar. Other suggestions ?
    As for the fixer, Im at a loss. I think this may be the sand in the gearbox.

Thoughts ?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh...I *guess* if I have to stop at the drug store, that would be OK too

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    have a small bottle (100ml) of rodinal for developer.
    dont know about fixer
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks, I would have never thought of that :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of the chlorine removing chems at the pool supply are sodium sulfite and sodium thiosulfate, check your nearest pool supply and see what they have available, and see if they have the MSDS sheets for the ones you can't tell by the label, the info will be on them.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bet you can use beer for stop -)

Images
    Upon occasion, I carry a bottle of developer concentrate and a bottle of TF4 fixer concentrate. I use a 250 ml tank for 35 mm which does one roll, or maybe two if you have mastered the black art of loading two in the same reel back-to-back. At the end of development, I dump an ounce of developer and add an ounce of TF4 concentrate. Agitate vigorously for 2 or 3 minutes, inspect to make sure the film has cleared, and dump the chemicals.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    All,
    Im not quite sure why Im on this whim...But here we go:
    I want to be able to have the option of developing film at anytime, anywhere (que 007 music...). So, what are some formulas that I can make; using items found only at the common grocery store ? Im not even sure if this is really possible....but...
    Paracetamol could be made using Tylenol tablets, Lye, and _______. I need to find a substitute/source for NaSO3 (Sodium Sulfite). I know of the caffenol recipe too; but I tend to shy away from staining developers.
    The stopbath can be vinegar. Other suggestions ?
    As for the fixer, Im at a loss. I think this may be the sand in the gearbox.

Thoughts ?
    hi steve

didn't some people use seawater as fixer ?
    i don't know where i read that ...

good luck!
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've read where the navy used seawater to fix film during WWII aboard subs as fresh water was in ever short supply. Apparently it works, but *SLOWLY*.

I think you'll have to bite the bullet and buy fix. I've read on other threads that fix cannot be easily duped with "home" ingredients.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    I've read where the navy used seawater to fix film during WWII aboard subs as fresh water was in ever short supply. Apparently it works, but *SLOWLY*.

I think you'll have to bite the bullet and buy fix. I've read on other threads that fix cannot be easily duped with "home" ingredients.
    The Navy used seawater to WASH films and papers, followed by a short rinse in fresh water. During the war, it was discovered that the prints and films washed in seawater actually washed more thoroughly than film and prints washed in fresh water only, at shore based labs. The resulting photos were found to be more resistant to fading and yellowing, prompting a chemical analysys of seawater that resulted in the formulation of hypo-clearing agents such as KHCA and Perma-Wash. At least that's what I was told in Navy Photo School back in the late '70s.

Mike Sullivan
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin