Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,669   Online: 952

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Would it be an “Error regarding Air?”

I am working towards getting back into the darkroom again after a long absence of about 17 years. Kept all my gear and even designed my current house for a darkroom.

Of course, life has its surprises and I just had no time to pursue this although I continued with photography, as least with 35mm since developing is widely available in color.

Anyway, want to get back into B&W, and other formats.

My questions are regarding storing mixed solutions.
    Years ago I switch over to the latest and greatest plastic bottles. You could squeeze most of the air out and prolong the life.

I have come across some post saying something to the effect that the old plastic is no good, air migrates past the plastic. Didn’t notice a problem with life but then again, maybe used it up fast enough.

The bottles pictured (Prinz, Falcon) were sold for photographic use. I have tons of these, even several cases of new ones.

Should I use them or replace them with newer plastic or go back to glass? (With glass I would either use marbles or an inert gas to replace air.)

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    Jim

http://camera35.com/PlasticBottles.htm
    Last edited by fotch; 11-04-2006 at 01:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Forgot photos
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Jim.

Glass.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Jim,

I used to use those but I hated the way they would fall over when full. It seems they do a bad job of protecting from oxygen, but I must have used things up before that happened.

In any case, I keep everything but film developer in brown plastic bottles and I've never had a problem. Film developer is used "one-shot" and kept in small (250ml) thick-walled "Nalgene" bottles with a clever lip at the top.

Remember, if your chemicals go bad in these containers, you aren't making enough photographs!

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do glass san peligrino mineral water bottles work well?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mostly, I use fizzy pop bottles - these are made from PET which is one of the least permeable plastics. I do not know which plastic the accordion bottles are made from. See http://silvergrain.org/Photo-Tech/plastic.html for some info.

Glass is probably the best material, but then you need to take the plastic top and seal material in to account and how to fill them without a large air-gap.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Do glass san peligrino mineral water bottles work well?
    Yes. Just make sure no-one can mistake them for actual San Pel.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    Glass is probably the best material, but then you need to take the plastic top and seal material in to account and how to fill them without a large air-gap.

Cheers, Bob.
    Remember the old trick with glass marbles to reduce the air space.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Yes. Just make sure no-one can mistake them for actual San Pel.

Cheers,

R.
    I use big labels..and everyone knows that there is no mineral water in them..
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Remember the old trick with glass marbles to reduce the air space.

Cheers,

R.
    Yup: I use them in glass bottles for long term storage of developer, but it does take a LOT of marbles to fill even a few inches of space - far more than you would think, looking at them in a bag!

Another tip I read was to drape a couple of layers of cling-film (Saran wrap) over the mouth of the bottle before screwing down the top as it is made of a highly impermeable plastic, which the cap may not be...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    Yup: I use them in glass bottles for long term storage of developer, but it does take a LOT of marbles to fill even a few inches of space - far more than you would think, looking at them in a bag!
    Dear Bob,

You're right: FAR more than a reasonable person might expect.

Try the Tetenal inert spray, too. I forget the name: Protectan? My wife Frances Schultz uses it all the time.

Cheers,

R.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin