Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,627   Online: 1163

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Developer and method most suited to Ilford Delta 400 please

Dear All,

I have recently moved on to black and white film, and like as I was advised, I have chosen a single make of film to stick with.

I have chosen Ilford 400 Delta Professional, and will be scanning the negatives to be developed at www.arrowfile.co.uk (apparently an award winning printing comapany; I would say so..).

With the vast array of liquid and powder developers available, and the addition of my Nikon F80 ISO settings being able to be adjusted to suit, would it be possible to gain some advice from a person with experience in this area with regards to a developer, method, and ISO setting suitable for scanned images requiring little or no editing, that resemble perfectly exposed and developed Ilford Pan F 50 Plus please.

Kind Regards,

Puretranquility
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    " The most stupid question is the one you don't ask "

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Puretranquility View Post
    Dear All,

I have recently moved on to black and white film, and like as I was advised, I have chosen a single make of film to stick with.

I have chosen Ilford 400 Delta Professional, and will be scanning the negatives to be developed at www.arrowfile.co.uk (apparently an award winning printing comapany; I would say so..).

With the vast array of liquid and powder developers available, and the addition of my Nikon F80 ISO settings being able to be adjusted to suit, would it be possible to gain some advice from a person with experience in this area with regards to a developer, method, and ISO setting suitable for scanned images requiring little or no editing, that resemble perfectly exposed and developed Ilford Pan F 50 Plus please.

Kind Regards,

Puretranquility
    Welcome to this forum Andrew.
    You will get as many answers to your question as photographers you ask it of. For myself I use Ilford Delta 400 in 120 size which I rate at ISO400 and develop in Prescysol. The developed film scans well so I think it should suit your purpose. If I were using 35mm then I would rate it at the same speed and develope in Prescysol EF to minimise grain.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Welcome, and Dave is right! I would develop Delta 400 in Ilford DD-X, Ilford's recommended developer for this film. However, if you want images that resemble Pan F, then the easist way is to use Pan F in the first place!

Cheers

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I like Delta 400 at EI 200 developed in Perceptol best, but there are many options depending on what your priorities are (speed, grain, sharpness, contrast, etc.).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use Xtol or Mytol at various dilutions for 99% of my film work. I like it with the Deltas as dilute as 1+3. Beautiful intersection of grain, sharpness, and tonality.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I like Delta 400 at EI 200 developed in Perceptol best, but there are many options depending on what your priorities are (speed, grain, sharpness, contrast, etc.).
    I'm with DG on this one. Too many combinations. For me, here in SoCal where we have lots of sunny days, I like Delta 400 but don't want overblown highlights when printing so I prefer to process it in PMK (35mm format). I loose the fine grain effect of it but the accutance developer plus the grain structure with Delta is pleasing (to me at least). I've used D71 1:1 with PMK and got very little grain but images have an apparent (illusion probably) loss of sharpness. Your gas mileage may vary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DDX 1+4 agitating at the top of each minute, expose as 400 or so..
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Delta 400 and PanF are as similar as chalk and cheese and I would second MikeG's advice. Delta 400 is superb (tonality, contrast and grain-wise) at 200 in perceptol, but it's also nice at 400 in ID11 or at 800 in Microphen.

Try a few developers and see which you like best!

Rob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like Delta 400 (120) exposed @ 250 to 320 to 400 and developed in EXTOL 1:1, and very slightly underdeveloped since I scan the film. Dr. said I had to
    give up darkroom after 50 years, but I can still use my Jobo. Negs that are slightly both thin and flat generally will scan better, especially if the subject matter is contrasty -- to preserve both the shadows and highlights.
    Dave Belew
    http://ntweb.mcn.org/dbelew/
    Corel Ctech and Paint shop
    Pro beta tester

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Puretranquility View Post
    Dear All,

I have recently moved on to black and white film, and like as I was advised, I have chosen a single make of film to stick with.......................

Kind Regards,

Puretranquility
    I answered in more details in your other thread. Would start with Ilford's Ilfotec DDX using Ilford's recommended times and setup.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin