Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,372   Online: 787

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Traveling with film.

This may not be the right place to post this, but I was wondering what people are doing these days to protect film from x-ray damage by the TSA. Basically, I have stopped taking a film camera when I go on trips just to avoid the hassle, but now my daughter has invited me to join her on a trip to India. I would probably just take 35mm equipment and would expect to carry the quipment on the plane (it fits under the seat), but what about film? I assume I would need to hand carry it as well and have it hand inspected? I would rather not have to develop it there, but that's not out of the question.

-Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Lets see, on my last trip, I hand carried a 4x5 camera, 3 4x5 lenses, a 35mm camera (Nikon F5) with lens, 4 boxes of Velvia QuickLoads, 25 rolls of 35mm, 3 50-sheet boxes of film, plus a box of 120. The point is, you can often carry a lot of equipment and film if you are creative about it how you do it. I carried the 35mm film in pockets on my pants, 2 4x5 lenses in a fanny pack, and the F5 around my neck. Yes, it is a pain, but worth it to carry what I needed. Keep in mind, that you are allowed a bit more hand-carry in terms of weight, with most airlines, for international flights.

FWIW, hand carrying film is not a problem, unless you are carrying high-speed film, you won't have any problems with the hand check x-ray.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow! LOL! You need to post a picture of you all dressed up for a trip. By that standard, I should have it pretty easy.

I did just check out the TSA website and they do say that their x-ray machines won't damage hand carried luggage, although I've never trusted statements like that in the past. Back before 9/11 I used the lead-lined bags to put film in checked baggage but I've heard that now they just turn up the juice on those x-ray machines until they can see right through the lead lining.

I suppose the answer is to put a bunch of cassettes in a clear plastic bag so they can see them. I load my own, so I don't like the idea of having them bouncing around loose in a bag where they might pop open if they're handled too roughly.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Krueger View Post
    I did just check out the TSA website and they do say that their x-ray machines won't damage hand carried luggage, although I've never trusted statements like that in the past. Back before 9/11 I used the lead-lined bags to put film in checked baggage but I've heard that now they just turn up the juice on those x-ray machines until they can see right through the lead lining.
    I had film go through as many as 10 x-ray sessions on a trip, without any noticeable difference - mostly US, Australia and New Zealand airports. I can't tell you about the Indian ones. Lead lined bags are really a waste of money, mainy because they really don't work. Yes they do turn up the juice on x-ray machines, but it isn't what you think - they just change the gain, not the power. Think of it as changing the ISO in a digital camera, you still get the picture, just with more noise.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wow! LOL! You need to post a picture of you all dressed up for a trip. By that standard, I should have it pretty easy.
    My carryone was actually 4lbs over, but I asked if they would waive it and the lady at the check in said yes.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I suppose the answer is to put a bunch of cassettes in a clear plastic bag so they can see them. I load my own, so I don't like the idea of having them bouncing around loose in a bag where they might pop open if they're handled too roughly.
    There has been a lot of credible scientific research on the effect of carry-on x-rays on film. The bottom line is the machines used in the US will not cause a detectable effect on film provided the film is ordinary stuff (ie, EI 400 or below) and provided it is not exposed too many times. I don't know if the exposure threshold has actually been quantified, but there are lots of reports of 6-8 exposures with no apparent effect.

The bit about "turning up the juice" on the x-ray machine is pure urban legend. The inspectors have no control at all on the intensity of the x-ray exposure - if they did, there would be serious safety concerns! Instead, all they can control is the intensity of the image on their monitor..

I used to use lead bags, but gave up on them entirely a few years ago. Today, I just put my film in a clear plastic bag. Yes, I know they suggest taking it out of the plastic canister, but I bulk-load my 35mm film, and am also concerned about cassettes popping open. Also, I use a strip of colored plastic ape on the outside of the canister to separate exposed from unexposed film - if the tape goes over the edge onto the canister top, the film is unexposed. When I repackage the film after exposure, I switch the tape to simply wrap around the outside of the canister.

But my experience is that if I simply let my bag go through the x-ray without making a big deal about the contents, the inspectors rarely bother to look inside so the fact that the film is still in the canisters is usually not an issue.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The bottom line is there are two different airport systems:

1. Baggage (Luggage) - this goes in the hold the X-ray equipment is quite powerful, Kodak & Ilford don't recommend your film goes through this.

2. Hand held carry-on luggage. Supposedly safe for films, and generally fine, in practice usually causes no problems at all. Have you noticed the staff don't wear radiation badges to check their dosage ! Actually this should be safe at most airports now.

I queried this at a London airport 2 months ago, and by chance I'd asked a member of staff (a photographer) who was on a committee with Ilford & Kodak technical experts concered with the safety of films passing through aiport X-ray machines.

Hand baggage scans are safe, even multiple times. Baggage in the hold is not.

Ian

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    I fly semi-frequently, almost all domestic, and I always ask for a hand inspection of the film and I have never been refused.

I always have it out for them, in a clear plastic zip-lock bag, rolls out of the canisters all ready to inspect.

Sometimes they just look at it and hand it back, sometimes they take it over to the nasty-detector and swab it off.

I think asking nicely and having it convenient for them to inspect are the keys to this.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    I can't tell you about the Indian ones...
    Delta 3200 through Goa twice and Bombay once gave me no problems. Nor have I had problems with slower films through Delhi and Madras (wasn't carrying Delta 3200).

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Haven't we had this thread before? And before that? And before that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin