Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,193   Online: 1020

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Another Pyrocat-HD question

Hi All,

Sorry to ask this, as I know its already been asked and I did check the archives. But I need to confirm my guess.

I have tried processing 8x10 JandC 100 in Pyrocat HD with Glycol. I recieved the developer already as a pre mixed liquid (Formulary Kit). And I am processing the film in a Jobo 3005 Expert tank on a roller base.

Both times, the film has come out extremely thin, almost completely clear except for the highlights; which seemed pretty normal on some of the negatives. The shadow detail was non existant. I processed an exact identical set of Negatives in my usual D76 1:1 and they came out fine, so my guess is either the developer has gone bad, or has somehow gotten contaminated.

My process run in the jobo is a 5 minute pre-soak, 14 minutes in the developer, 30s water stop, followed by 5 to 6 minutes fixing in fresh Ilford Hypam.

Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Gary

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What dilution you have used? Normally Pyrocat-HD is mixed (a+b) and diluted with water as 1+1+100.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thank you for the reply,

I used 1:1:100 dilution. 10ml of each A & B and 1000ml of water.

Thanx!

Gary

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I use 1.5 : 1.5 : 100 for about 9 + minutes at 72 degrees tray processed and they come out great. I shoot at 100. The shadows will look thin but print fine, you may be surprised. I would try printing one and report back. The negs are contrasty which I like for a certain look. I am contact printing as an fyi. If you like the dektol - perhaps just stick with it. But print both and compare?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might try a different dilution, some use 2:2:100 (I do) for the reason you stated. Using 1:1:100 mine would come out just as you described. Also, be sure to be the part B out of part A except when you are mixing working developer (sorry if that seems a bit basic, but it will kill part A if even a little part B get in there over time).
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I use the exact same developer and film and never had a problem such as this. I'm using 2-2-100, rating the film at ASA 50 and development times are usually around 10-30 minutes.

So....I suggest bumping up your dilution and doing about the same time, maybe abit longer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gary,

My Jobo negs have been turning out as you describe yours. I started using 1.5+1.5:100 and that made a marked improvement. Secondly I found what appears as 'correct' time is in the 6+ Jobo minute area, NOT 10+ as I thought was the correct time.

Between Unblinking Eye and APUG there is a lot of information offered, much of it has been updated and is not the current Sandy King findings. I don't know what is the latest info regarding Time/Temp and dilutions.

It would be nice if there was a single source of information on Pyrocat HD but maybe we just have to experiment until the definitive book is written.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow! This sounds similar to the problem I was having with Tmax 100. I used Pyrocat HD in glycol 1:1:100 and got film that was practically clear except for highlights which seemed fairly dense. Identical film developed in Xtol came out fine and I repeated the test several times (with 35mm and 120 size) with the same results. But, I've been using that same batch of Pyrocat since then for every other film (Tmax 400, Pan F, Adox PL100) with absolutely no problem.

No one else seems to have this problem, so it's obviously something I'm doing, but I eventually gave up and just don't use that particular combination of film and developer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The only time I have ever had too thin negatives with this devceloper has been when they are underexposed.

You don't mention your EI for this film. I suspect it is underexposed rather than a development problem. My test with this film in Pyrocat HD in an Expert drum indicate an EI of 25-40. In other words, 1 2/3 to 2 stops more exposure than if exposed at 100.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Images
    When you get a chance, try Pyrocat MC.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin