Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,293   Online: 1147

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HC110 Agitation

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Following a manufacturer's recommendations gets you highly reliable negatives that print normal scenes at the normal paper grade at normal times.

Normal doesn't mean mundane, Kodak and the others have worked hard to make normal a very high quality situation.

Before you or I decide on changing away from normal development (time, temp, or agitation) we probably need to have a situation that's not normal that's pushing us that way. For example Ansel Adams used graded paper which made adjusting the negative important, but he also was meticulous about measuring the scene; changes in development were driven by real numbers not somebody elses preferences.

We also need to remember that adjustments don't necessarily need to be done at the film. Today, unlike in Adams heyday, VC papers are great and contrast is easily and nicely adjustable with paper grade.

I'd suggest starting normal and defining where you want to go from there.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Following a manufacturer's recommendations gets you highly reliable negatives that print normal scenes at the normal paper grade at normal times.

Normal doesn't mean mundane, Kodak and the others have worked hard to make normal a very high quality situation.

Before you or I decide on changing away from normal development (time, temp, or agitation) we probably need to have a situation that's not normal that's pushing us that way. For example Ansel Adams used graded paper which made adjusting the negative important, but he also was meticulous about measuring the scene; changes in development were driven by real numbers not somebody elses preferences.

We also need to remember that adjustments don't necessarily need to be done at the film. Today, unlike in Adams heyday, VC papers are great and contrast is easily and nicely adjustable with paper grade.

I'd suggest starting normal and defining where you want to go from there.
    Sure, and for me it will be very very long journey in film as i don't have tools to print and surrounded by digi... and also my country is not supporting film much and i can't spend a lot of money to buy chemicals or tools or paper always online as i do usually, sooner or later it will get harder for me to have great work in film for me against budget/time, i can start somewhere for sure, but i can't tell how and when i can end up somewhere else i want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterpan View Post
    In Greg Mironchuk's article he states that he only agitates at the beginning of development process and once half way through the process.The reason being that to agitate more makes the negs too contrasty.
    That's what HE does based on HIS development process. Fist follow Kodak's recomendation they know more about their films than anyone else. If YOU find a need for any adjustment then base it on Kodak's agitation method.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin