Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,242   Online: 888

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

8x10 processing question

I process 2 8x10 negs in a unicolor drum that I roll around on the floor. I use the same set up for four 5x7 negatives. I use 500ml og pyrocat-hd at 2:2:100. I have not had any issues with the 5x7 negs as long as I get the dev in really fast and knock it over right away. With the 8x10 I am getting lines of different densities. I do nothing differently.

Why?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Is it the same type of film? Try a presoak, if you don't already use one.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the lines are caused by the ribs of the tube causing the developer to pool in those areas.

Images
    I do presoak. It is also the same film Adox(efke PL)100

It can't be the ribs because the emulsion is facing into the tube, not the wall. Is it the amount of developer?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Is the increased density on the emuilsion or the back side? If I don't presoak enough (five minutes with vigorous agitation) I have problems getting the antihalation layer off the film.

When this has shown up for me, it renders as increased density.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    If I don't presoak enough (five minutes with vigorous agitation) I have problems getting the antihalation layer off the film.
    Don, that's interesting. I always pre-soak for five minutes, but I have never agitated during pre-soak. Maybe I should be. Have not seen a problem but maybe I have one I haven't seen. I have been using a Unicolor drum for extreme minimal agitaiton. One sheet 8x10 or two 4x5s at a time. The water always comes out blue. Got me wondering though.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Images
    Good Evening,

Like Alex, I can't recall ever having difficulty getting rid of the anti-halation backing. I normally use just a two-minute pre-soak; the only agitation is the normal rotation of the drum on the motor drive. It seems worth remembering, too, that the film is in the various chemicals for a time far exceeding the usual pre-soak time. Removal of any anti-halation coating presumably continues in those also, should the water pre-soak not finish the job. In actuality, I don't see any trace of the backing when I dump the developer; whatever the color of the anti-halation backing, it seems to come out very thoroughly with just a couple of minutes in water. (I have not, however, drum-processed any but Kodak and Ilford films.)

Konical

Images
    It is not anti halation. Definately on the emulsion side. I just looked at them again it is like waves of density, or peaks and valleys. It builds up and goes down, builds up and goes down.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Maybe it's my water here in Phoenix (it has enough mineral that I walk on it). But I have had problems with removal of the AH layer. It does not show up as color but rather as increased density that is quite apparently on the base side. five minutes with rolling agitation in the presoak and vigourous ten second shaking at 1 1/2, 3 and 4 1/2 minutes takes care of the problem...any less and I will have problems.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    It is not anti halation. Definately on the emulsion side. I just looked at them again it is like waves of density, or peaks and valleys. It builds up and goes down, builds up and goes down.

Has to be the agitation regimen coupled with ribs in the drum. I venture that it is due to surge effects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin