Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,160   Online: 1109

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Arista.Edu VC FB Warmtone Paper

Just tried some of this today for the first time. Remarkably slow which I kind of like because it is easier to dodge and burn. Like the tones too.

However, the paper was fogged in a little area in the margin, most of which would be trimmed away. Not worth much of a stink over a 10 sheet package but it makes me wonder about ordering more. Was I just unlucky? Any other experience with this paper? I hear it is the same as Forte Polywarmtone. Is Forte any more reliable, enough to justify the 50 cents extra per each 11x14 sheet?

Thanks.
    Jerold Harter MD

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    forte warmtone papers seem to be prone to fogging, so if it is a forte product it needs to be handled more carefully. Move the safe light further away and see if that helps.

Some of my students use this paper all the time and it tones beautifully.

In fact with a KST at 1:3 it has a lovely brown tone, not eggplant as one would have expected.
    Last edited by ann; 11-18-2006 at 02:49 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: additon
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My .edu ULTRA has the same fogging on the edges you talk about. i use a red LED and i tried pitch black and I still get it, its very weird fogging that I've never seen before. Its Foma paper by the way, so not Forte, but I believe Freestyle may have a problem with their repackaging. Maybe they have a sloppy method of doing it when they split the paper up at their store or something? no idea.

KEK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have some coming next week so i'll see what happens.

when i ordered ,freestyle said when the current stock of arista is gone they will only carry the forte. i think he said rebranded kentmere and foma will be the only inhouse they carry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The arista is repackaged Forte PWT. I have tested it. it is the same. I have been using PWT for about 11 years and can't see any difference with the Arista, other than the lower price., and the better packaging (The Forte gold boxes are terrible)
    Forte can be a little tricky, but it is a superb paper. Its is slower, but it is extremely receptive to toning. I use it with nelsons gold toner.
    Don Sigl
    www.drs-fineartphoto.com

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    interesting, i have used Forte PWT and it tones much differently in selenium than the Arista.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    interesting, i have used Forte PWT and it tones much differently in selenium than the Arista.
    That is interesting. I don't use selenium so I did not test the two papers with selenium. However, I did test them in using the pape rdevelopers I use most commonly,and tested them in the Nelsons Toner. There was virtually no difference. One of the unique characteristics of PWT is the pin white paper base. Most warm tone papers have more of a cream base. Both the Arista and the PWT have the exact same base.
    I asked Freestyle before I purchased the paper if it was indeed PWT. They replied that it was. Not that that would be a guarrantee, but i could not see any significant differentce between the teo papers other than minir differences to speed associated with emulsiuon lots.
    I have no explanation for your results, but I find it intersting enough to try the next time I print. I have boxes of both papers and some selenium laying around.
    Don Sigl
    www.drs-fineartphoto.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin