Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,948   Posts: 1,585,921   Online: 1041

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    While my results with the unicolor motor base have been good, I have not the vaguest clue what speed it rotates at. It doesn't seem very fast. I'm using an old Jobo 2336 drum which has a fairly large diameter, but it does go around way more than just one turn before witching direction. Maybe as much as two full turns.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Krueger View Post
    Just for the heck of it, I took the light dimmer that I use with my dremmel drill and tried it on my Unicolor motot base and it really didn't work well. There was a very narrow range of adjustment where it would slow down. A little higher and it was almost full speed. A little lower and it would stop. And that was with the empty drum sitting on it.

The router speed controller is probably a much better idea if you want to slow the speed down. I have a little metal lathe that uses a speed controller that pulses the current to the motor. While it makes for an odd pulsating sound, it manages to keep the torque high at even very low speeds.

In any case, for the most part I've been pretty satisfied with the speed of the Uniroller base as is. I will run into uniformity problems if I load up the drum with too many sheets, though. It's possible that's a speed related problem, so I may do some speed experimentation in the future.
    The router speed controller is pretty heavy duty. Much more than a dimmer switch. It doesn't pulse though as far as I can tell, and (at least on router motors) lowering the pot will cause a decrease in torque. It will turn the 3005 as slow as 5-6rpm with 1000 ml of chemistry. I do notice that with that load, you cannot adjust any slower and faster adjustments quickly jump to full speed. With 500-600 ml of chemistry, you have a little more adjustment range. What would be ideal is the kind of controller built into my Dewalt variable speed router: The speed is maintained elecronically. As it senses a change in load, it adjusts to maintain constant speed and torque. Probably overkill for a roller base though
    Don Sigl
    www.drs-fineartphoto.com

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I just looked at a Unicolor Unidrum II manual, and for 8x10 drum it only calls for 2 oz. (60 ml) 11x14 calls for 4 oz and 16x20 calls for 8 oz.

It sounds like some of you are using more chemistry, or are they just bigger drums?

Is there an advantage to more than the amount I have listed above?

Also, regarding leaking , do you put the base and drum on a tray or similar to contain possible leaks? (Like a Boot Buddy tray for wet boots/shoes).

Thanks

Murray
    Murray

Images
    Good Evening, Murray,

The amounts listed for the typical color drum were given with expensive color chemicals in mind. Assuming that you're using the drum for film processing, B & W stuff is so much cheaper that there's no point in using such small amounts. I figure that 8 oz. is the minimum I'd use in an 8 x 10 drum; more often, I use 10-12 oz.

Unicolor drums have a reputation for sometimes leaking. My 30 year-old-plus Chromega has never had the slightest leakage problem, so I just put it on a motor base on the handiest horizontal surface.

Konical

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thank you!
    Murray

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin