Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,653   Posts: 1,668,684   Online: 1141

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Another old paper question

I've just liberated some old photographic paper from my father's attic and was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about it ? For example how old it might be, what type of paper it is and what's the best way to develop it.

There's a couple of boxes of Kodak Velox, WSG.1S and WSG.3S. The .1S is still sealed, the .3S was opened so I tried some tonight and although very slow it worked (developed it in Ilford Multigrade and gave it a good long wash). They have the following codes printed on the box: H 90157M 2P04 and H 90823L 3T07, possibly date codes ?

There's also some Kodak 'Bromide WSM' in various grades, sample code numbers: 89135H 5W22, 88146H 1A34, 80618D 2F52.

And some Ilfobrom IB3.1P (and other grades), this has a code 12C-808 for example.

I need to get some bigger trays, and collect the Kaiser 6x9 enlarger I've just bought before I can try the other papers (been using a Minox enlarger and limiting myself to 7x5's in my first month of printing).

Cheers,

Crispin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Did anyone give you a code key. I have some Kodak paper I would like to date but have the esoteric code to find it.

I'll call Kodak tomorrow and see if they can help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kodak Velox, WSG.1S and WSG.3S

According to the info I have you have (W)hite (S)mooth (G)lossy, Grade (1) (S)ingle Weight
    This paper is for contact printing, ANSI speed of 10 (about 10 times slower than
    enlarging paper). Cold tone using Dektol at 1:2. Responds well to Sepia, Sulfide and Alum toners.

It's all I've got on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, was it really two years ago that I wrote that. I didn't get any information regarding the dates. The Ilford graded paper is a bit fogged so I use it unexposed but fixed for cyanotypes. Being a slow contact paper would explain the very long exposure times I needed with the Velox. This doesn't appear to have fogged much but is very contrasty, and yes it does have a lovely glossy finish.

Crispin

Shooter
    Medium Format

Velox

Quote Originally Posted by crispinuk View Post
    Wow, was it really two years ago that I wrote that. I didn't get any information regarding the dates. The Ilford graded paper is a bit fogged so I use it unexposed but fixed for cyanotypes. Being a slow contact paper would explain the very long exposure times I needed with the Velox. This doesn't appear to have fogged much but is very contrasty, and yes it does have a lovely glossy finish.

Crispin

Yeah, and I'm sure you did not even ferrotype it Velox is really nice paper with its intense blue/blacks. I didn't notice the date of your post, I just read them and if I have some usefull info I'll post to it. I've got a stash of 2 1/2 x 3 1/2" Velox and contact printer just for the times where I want a quick print without setting up the big trays or for authentic old-tyme repros.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin