Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,506   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilford Warmtone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilford Warmtone

I've been very pleased with this paper, both for dodging/burning and for selenium-toning.

I have two problems with it, though.

First, it curls up when drying (which never happens to me with Ilford MGII and MGIV). I don't have a print dryer. This has happened to me both hanging it and lying it flat.

Second, it has almost no lustre at all. I have the matte version, so I'm not expecting it to gleam and shine, but it looks sort of dull to me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I find it dries reasonably flat if dried slowly face down on a screen , then a week under a few heavy weights finshes the job nicely. As for the finish - matte is what it says - matte! if you're looking for a brighter finish, try the glossy version.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ditto Leons' answer: It curls but heavy books or dry press makes it less so. And yes, it's not glossy but I guess ferrotyping could make it slightly more shiny. Actually, the Ilford Warmtone 24K is semi-matt while the normal 5K is really matt. It's a small difference but enough to differ for me. I like both.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    fiber is always more matte than RC, even the glossy. The Ilford warmtone glossy is really nice. I agree about the curl to some extent. The faster it dries, the more it will curl, btw. So now that the humidity in Mass is llooowwww, I'd expect a bit more curl. And flattening fiber prints is what coffee table books are really for.

Shooter
    35mm
    I MGWT to dry fairly flat by air drying two prints back to back, pegged in each corner. Then finish off with a few good books.

Shooter
    35mm
    Should read my posts more carefully before submitting. Should have read: I GET MGWT to dry....... sorry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Increasing humidity will help the paper dry flat. You might want to think about getting a small humidifier and see if you can increase humidity to 50-60%. The print will dry much flatter. Another oprion is to find access to a dry mount press somewhere. I usually place fiber prints in the dry mount press at fairly low heat after they have completely dried. Then under weight for a few minutes.
    If you are looking for an alternative WT FB paper, you might want to consider Forte PWT. Its has a very clean white base and has considerably more toning sensitivity than the Ilford.
    Don Sigl
    www.drs-fineartphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My lazy dry-mount press is a pair of watercolor paper sheets and a clothes iron. When the print is dry but not bone-dry, I place it between the two sheets of paper and iron (start with lowest heat!) the whole sandwich on my board until it's bone-dry. I manage to get prints that are perfectly or almost perfectly flat. Sometimes during the ironing procedure I pick the photo out and bend it against the natural folding direction to help it.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I find that drying prints on paper clips sometimes curls em, sometimes doesn't. depends on how long ago the laundry was left hanging in the room (depends on the humidity). Either way, a couple days under some heavy boxes / books makes em as flat as they can be without being dry mounted.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I gave up the struggle some years ago and bought a second-hand 50x60cm (20x24") drying press. Works like a dream - FB prints are now dry and flat when RC prints are still wet underneath.

If you find one you can afford, buy it.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin