Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,232   Posts: 1,532,895   Online: 963

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

in need of dev. advice - ADOX 400

hi all,

Have a couple of rolls of this film in 120mm but dont know how to develop it. Using Rodinal mostly (1+49) so would prefer that. Also, is it possible to achieve 200ASA, 400, maybe 800?

Cheers and thanx
    a.
    "Sve moze da propadne, da nestane, samo je smrt siguran poso!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Common knowledge suggests that this is HP5 so use the times for it as a starting point.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    12 min in rodinal 1:50
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    Common knowledge suggests that this is HP5 so use the times for it as a starting point.
    "Common knowledge" is wrong in this case. It's not HP5, nor HP5+, nor is it Ilford Pan400.

There's a rumor it's APX400s, a film that never was released by Agfa.

Just for a change, I agree with Marko. You will of course have to adjust times to your own preferences, but that should get you in the ballpark.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay may be the problem is to avoid over development. Try development for about 25% less than recommended by manufacturer and use contrast control available in paper dev. Only a suggestion!
    John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    There's a rumor it's APX400s, a film that never was released by Agfa.

Just for a change, I agree with Marko. .
    It is apx400 on a diffrent base.
    What do you mean "for a change"?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Retrophotographic, which sells this, says it is "identical" to HP5.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes it's HP5
    The Efke 400 is APX400 ^^
    Efke is not Adox ! but sometime Adox looks like Efke .

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Adox 400 is Ilford HP5???

Quote Originally Posted by Hervé V. View Post
    Yes it's HP5
    The Efke 400 is APX400 ^^
    Efke is not Adox ! but sometime Adox looks like Efke .
    While I am not disputing this, this goes against all statements from ILFORD that (since reorganization) they do not "private label" film stocks. I guess that wouldn't stop them from just selling a whole uncut "pancake" of emulsion to someone, and let them relabel it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alex, the problem is that no one seems to be sure which film that is. As you probably know, Fotokemika does not have the equipment to make 400 ASA film, so all of their 400 ASA films are actually rebranded films from other manufacturers.
    Up until last year you could be sure that KB400 is old Ilford's HP5 - but that batch was sold, AFAIK.

A little bird in Samobor, Croatia, told me that the 400ASA film currently sold is actually Agfa APX 400

In short, Marko's suggestion (12 min in Rodinal 1+50, at 20 degrees C) should get you in the ballpark - use it as a starting point, depending on your process. Develop one film for 12 minutes, and you'll see whether you need more or less development.

As an aside, I recently souped a roll of (new) Efke KB400 in Rodinal Special diluted at 1+50 for 15 minutes, and the film was a bit overdeveloped. The batch of Rodinal Special that I have actually has rather similar developing times as the "ordinary" Rodinal at the same dilution. BTW, Rodinal Special is actually Agfa Studional, if you need the dev. times.

So, I am inclined to think that with Rodinal 1+50 at 20 deg. C, your developing time should be anywhere from 12 to 14 minutes, depending on the contrast you need/prefer and your actual darkroom processing procedure, temperature precision, quality of water, agitation pattern, etc...

Denis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin