Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,168   Online: 1071

Thread: Microdol-X

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Microdol-X

I have some Microdol-X that was given to me. I have always used HC-110 and have standardized very well with it. I was just wandering if anyone else has used this developer and what their thoughts were. I shoot 120 Plus-X and Tri-X exclusively?

Thanks in advance. Chuck

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In general, Microdol-X is considered a "fine grain" developer, and HC-110 is considered somewhat of a "standard grain" developer. I believe Microdol-X has some silver haliade dissolving capability, thus rendering the edges of the grains in the emulsion softer, at some expense to overall film speed. I haven't used it in years, but as I recall, you do not get full emulsion speed.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would not use it - you shoot 120 film - if you shot 35mm film, that would be different - It is very high solvent and your negs will be comparitively mushy - you will also loose one stop - shoot at 200. If I need to use a high solvent developer, I use Microphen, at least then I get full film speed and the ability to push process. There has been some amazing work done with 35mm tri-x and Microdol X - I have seen 16x20s that were beatiful. But .... Not as sharp as I am accustomed to using 120 film and pyrocat-p.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a question of what dilution you use. Straight you'll get mush and the speed hit, but by the time you get to 1:3, much of the fine-grain/solvent effect disappeares. Like any other developer, learn its tricks and it'll serve you well.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've used it quite a bit with 120 at the 1:3 dilution with very nice results. I switched to it when Perceptol went off the market, but have gone back to Perceptol now that it is available again - I like Microdol-X, but prefer Perceptol given the choice. For what it's worth, I used it with Tri-X and HP5+...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perceptol is Ilford's version of Microdol-X. The current versions of these two developers produce similar/identical results.

Diluted 1 part stock to 3 parts water, then most of the solvent effects are gone and both these developers will produce an acutance result.

There are a lot of APUG posts/threads on Microdol-X, do an APUG search.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Chuck there are quite a few threads on here discussing and comparing Microdol. Do a search and check them out. Quite interesting. This at one time was my favorite developer. But then, I was using it on Pan-X...
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always liked Mic-X, a rather versatile dev; use it straight or dilute. It's always fgiven me easy to print negs, but I have never noticed that they are mushy.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin