Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,528   Online: 839

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

ilford Pan F or other

hello,

I am hoping to use Ilford Pan F with a medium format camera, can anyone tell me about this film?, is it difficult to yse, if so can you give me any tips?.

thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try to be right-on on the exposure.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi

It's currently my favourite slow film for MF. It's no more difficult to work with than any other film. It gives lovely 'creamy' tones and is capable of really sharp, low grain images. At ISO50 it's quite contrasty. I find rating it at 25 and reducing development by about 20% works well. It's really nice in ID11 and I've also used Stoeckler's 2-bath which also reduces contrast.

Enjoy!

Rob

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree with Rob's assesment of this film - unless the light is flat it helps to do what he suggested with exposure and development to get the contrast to a workable level. I love this film, and I only shoot 120 or larger these days, but my developer of choice is Rodinal 1:100 (or 1:200 using stand development).

- Randy

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's a wonderful film if you have enough light for it- I've developed it in Ilfosol-S and Neofin Blau; both o which give full ISO 50 or a little bit more. Don't overdevelop more than 10%, or the contrast will run away on you.

Having said this, I routinely "overdevelop" it by 25%. But I don't recommend it unless you kow what you're doing, what you want, and how to get from where you are to where you want to be.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yup, it's a great film, but you can get some very contrasty negs if you're not careful. I rate it at 32, and develop it in Rodinal 1+50 for 10 minutes. Lovely negatives. This was made using the above combination:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...500&ppuser=520
    Cheers!

-klm.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll second the recommendations about overdeveloping.......the last Pan F negs I shot were, er, chunky. This time around I'll be doubling the dilution with PCAT- 6 mins rated at 40/50 and 1+200 should do it .
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's a wonderful film if you have enough light for it
    Bring along a tripod. And don't forget the manual, so you can figure out the reciprocity failure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KenM View Post
    Yup, it's a great film, but you can get some very contrasty negs if you're not careful. I rate it at 32, and develop it in Rodinal 1+50 for 10 minutes. Lovely negatives. This was made using the above combination:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...500&ppuser=520
    That's a great shot.

What agitation are you using?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by celestine47 View Post

hello,

I am hoping to use Ilford Pan F with a medium format camera, can anyone tell me about this film?, is it difficult to yse, if so can you give me any tips?.

thanks
    Try Rodinal 1:100 for 20 minutes at ISO 50. This dilute developer really softens the contrast. It's more predictable then the Efke 25 and 50, which lately have been all over the place in speed and contrast. Ilford must have one of the finest coating facilities in the world. Their emulsions are extremely consistent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin