Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,129   Online: 880

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilford 'traditional' vs delta films.

Can anyone suggest what differences I could expect when using FP4+/HP5+ compared to Delta 100/400 ? I have used thwem all in the past but not really known why I should use them. Now I'm getting almost past newbie stage I was looking for a little more information on how they should appear to the viewer.

Thanks ; Chris Benton
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by digiconvert View Post
    Can anyone suggest what differences I could expect when using FP4+/HP5+ compared to Delta 100/400 ? I have used thwem all in the past but not really known why I should use them. Now I'm getting almost past newbie stage I was looking for a little more information on how they should appear to the viewer.

Thanks ; Chris Benton
    As you have already used them all, which did you prefer, FP4 Plus or Delta 100? The same question applies for HP5 Plus and Delta 400 and you have answered your own question.
    Also consider Kodak Plus-X and T-Max 100, Tri-X and T-max 400,Fuji 100 Acros and Neopan 400, then make the films you prefer your standard film stock.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since the film is an intermediate step I have to side with Keith, and say use them, and print and compare. There are so many variables to take account of, almost everyone will produce a different result.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by digiconvert View Post

Thanks ; Chris Benton
    As a rough guide, T-grain films like Delta 100/400 give better sharpness and less grain when exposed and developed with care. If overexposed, they will give horrible grain, particularly if overdeveloped as well, and they seem to respond less well to push/pull processing, especially pull - if you're going to pull-process, T-grain films seem to need a greater exposure increase. On the other hand, get exposure/development right and results can be quite spectacular!

If all else fails, read the instructions:
    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...1938422338.pdf
    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...6115141521.pdf
    Here can be found the characteristc curves which relate to the difference in tonality between Delta 100 and FP4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson View Post
    If all else fails, read the instructions:
    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...1938422338.pdf
    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...6115141521.pdf
    Here can be found the characteristc curves which relate to the difference in tonality between Delta 100 and FP4.
    Err.. sorry I can't really pretend to fully understand that. My Physics suggests that HP4 is more sensitive further into the IR spectrum whereas Delta goes towardsd UV (shorter wavelength) so presumably Delta would give more detail on a clear sunny day. FP4+ on the other hand should be better for indoor/incandescent light.
    My experience is that Delta seems 'smoother' (can't think of another description) than FP4+. I guess I am really trying to find out what I should see in the print from each type. The implication of one post is that FP4+ would be a little more forgiving, I guess if I am trying to get shadows and texture in portraits this suggests that Delta is better.

Right or wrong ? Sorry if I seem a bit dense.

Cheers CJB
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    CJB

Two of the films you mention are the two main films I use all the time, Ilford Delta 100 and HP5.

I can only tell you as I find and why It is I use them.

I use Delta 100 developed in Prescysol EF for my landscape work. The reason being is that it gives me very sharp prints up to the size I print, 11 x 8 ish.(it will go beyond) The grain is very fine and almost non-existant, and smooth in the sky areas.

whowever.. if I use it for a portrait it is too sharp. Good for the chiselled moody look of a male, showing every line and hair on the face...but...any women wouldd slap you for using it...

So... I go for HP5 in Prescysol for portraits as it gives smoother flesh tones (IMHO) and softer edges. I do not use it for landscape as I find it a bit too grainy for my liking, espescially in the out of focus areas and the skys. Beautiful for Baby shots as their skin looks like porcelain.

I must add...These findings are for these films in my chosen developer. Different developers will change a films character.

I hope this helps a little.

Stoo..............(not spell checked, sorry)

The characteristic curve plots the negative density against (log) exposure. Traditional films like FP4 have a rather S shaped curve with a higher slope in the middle which means more mid-tone contrast.Films like Delta have a nearly straight upper section with higher slope,they give more contrast in the highlights.
    If you like this tonality of FP4 you have to give up the fine grain and better sharpness of Delta (IMO).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I wouldn't pay any attention to the characteristic curves in the Ilford datasheets. You are never likely to reproduce them in your own processing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by percepts View Post
    I wouldn't pay any attention to the characteristic curves in the Ilford datasheets. You are never likely to reproduce them in your own processing.
    All things being equal, they do give you a point of reference to compare with other films/developers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin