Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,509   Online: 1017

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanshaw View Post
    I have dealt once with Retrophotographic, but never again. I bought some cheap Tasma film plus some Classic Pan and a bottle of developer. The film was said to be reduced in price because of non-attachment of the film to the spool. They claimed that there was 'nothing wrong with the film itself'. What they didn't say was that the film was nearly three years out of date. The developer bore a manufacturer's use by date 12 months ago. The Classic pan was supplied without cartons and with no 'use-by' date, which made me wonder how old it was.
    When I complained,I got no apology, just an instruction to send the goods back for refund. It seems that 'Retro' applies to their customer service as well as their products.
    I remember the offer, did you get a full refund?
    For myself my one minor complaint was dealt with very promptly.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did get an order 'screwed up' (their phrase not mine) but they put it right pretty quickly - I got a pack of incorrectly sent 16 x 10 print sleeves for free ut of it all. I also have had R09 developer which was out of date - but with that stuff it hardly seems to be a problem, seems to keep forever even when opened.
    I like Retro's approach to ensuring the more obscure products are kept alive and we have a chance to try them out, I can forgive the odd inconvenience for that reason.
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never had any problems at all with Retro myself - they have always been helpful and accomodating.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd ordered chemicals from Retro before this incident and been completely satisfied. A couple of months ago i ordered some raw chemicals from Retro - i was experimenting with kallitypes and needed to make some ferric oxalate. Part of the order was 100 gms of oxalic acid. The other items were fine, but the oxalic acid pot was just under half full. More interestingly, a letter from another customer was stuck inside the box - iirc he'd ordered some chemistry and been sent the wrong product - which doesn't really inspire confidence in Retro.

I sent back the oxalic acid for topping up, and the other customer's letter, and received the full amount - i think he'd put over 100 gms in - a few days later.

I'd be happy to order from him again, as everyone's entitled to one mistake. If it happenned on a regular basis i'd be less happy.
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree it's annoying when orders are wrong. I've made three large orders from Silverprint in the last few months, and two contained mistakes (the invoice and my payment was as it should have been). However, both mistakes were acknowledged and dealt with immediately and I was supplied with the missing goods by next day delivery. In one case I was not asked to return the (small) incorrect pack of paper, and so I didn't, and ended up with a little 'extra' for my trouble. The other case was unfortunate, as I had to meet a deadline, but luckily I had a fall-back position.

I wonder if this is an inevitable part of using small-scale suppliers who cater for many different individual orders. Human error is bound to be more common here, as every order is different. I prefer it to dealing with the 'mass' market though (and after all we've not got the choice here).

Although at the moment I do kind of feel it's a case of "three strikes and your out" - where would I go? The small suppliers have to work hard to be efficient as is possible, and not take advantage of the fact that they have more or less cornered a 'niche' market. And we should expect nothing less, but probably at the same time be willing to tolerate an inevitable small degree of human error.
    Last edited by catem; 03-31-2007 at 10:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've been to Silverprint's real life presence and that place is chaotic. Lots of people running around to get things off the shelves to fill orders. They look like they work very hard. It's cheaper for me to go to their shop and wait around for a few minutes until someone's free to grab stuff off the shelves for me, though, as I find it hard to spend the minimum order amount with the amount of film and chemicals I go through normally. Same goes for RK Photographic - cheaper for me to go to them in person rather than ordering online. Thems the breaks for living in London.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    I've been to Silverprint's real life presence and that place is chaotic. Lots of people running around to get things off the shelves to fill orders. They look like they work very hard...
    Seconded! Though I normally have to use mail order, living 400 miles from them on the other side of the English Channel. They're nice, helpful, friendly people who take the time to answer questions: they're not just box shifters. Here's a snap taken last November. That's Martin himself in the foreground.

Incidentally the 'Spirits' sign is 'Spirits of Salts', not the booze cupboard.

Cheers,

R.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Silverprint.JPG  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Seconded! Though I normally have to use mail order, living 400 miles from them on the other side of the English Channel. They're nice, helpful, friendly people who take the time to answer questions: they're not just box shifters. Here's a snap taken last November. That's Martin himself in the foreground.

Incidentally the 'Spirits' sign is 'Spirits of Salts', not the booze cupboard.

Cheers,

R.
    What Roger fails to mention is that his snap is of the tidy part.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Seconded! Though I normally have to use mail order, living 400 miles from them on the other side of the English Channel. They're nice, helpful, friendly people who take the time to answer questions: they're not just box shifters.
    Agreed. And who would you rather deal with, Silverprint or Jessops-that-was?

I think its fantastic they do the mail order, and it makes it much easier for me (unfortunately I don't have any problem meeting the minimum order!) even though I do live in London. I support them in this and am thankful for it - at the same time the growth in that area must be a factor in why they sometimes, (understandably perhaps), get orders wrong.

I'm just going to make sure I unpack the box immediately rather than leaving it until I'm ready to use what's inside.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Roger's photo of the silverprint shop brings back memories...I was fortunate enough to visit the shop last year when on vacation in London. I found everyone there very, very helpful, and the place not that much more chaotic than, say, Penn Camera in Washington DC on a bad day.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin