Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,504   Posts: 1,543,460   Online: 944

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    I use the Promaster film leader puller-outer thing in my camera bag for such things. I have over 90% success rate with this.

Before I got this, the one time I needed it I just took the roll into Walgreens and they pulled it out for me.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch View Post
    Shooting a few exposures and then rewinding the film for later use greatly increases the chance of film scratches. It is not a good idea. Buy either 12 or 20 exposures rolls for this purpose and shoot the entire roll. Of course, if you bulk load you can choose the number of exposures you wish.

Absolutely. This is among the falsest of false economies -- and rewinding all the way into the cassette (instead of 'leader out') compounds the problem. It's not just scratches: it's also double exposures and fogging.

Rewinding 'leader out' leads to even greater risk of double exposures, but less risk of fog.

We all do it from time to time, out of poverty, meanness, etc., but doing it as a matter of course is an extremely rash course.

Admittedly I've only been shooting 35mm seriously for 40 years, so I may modify my opinion when I am more experienced.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But you do end up with interesting double exposures occasionally. For that reason, I avoid using one of my "second chance" rolls on things that are important.

bd

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've yet to have a double exposure doing this. Of course, I carry a sharpie everywhere and label the canister with the number of exposures, then advance one past that when reloading. (I also use the sharpie to indicate EI, by adding a + before the number on the canister, so a canister labelled 4 has been advanced to shot 4 in one camera, and one labelled +4 is a 4 stop push).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Roger,

Whilst I'm one of those who has admitted to doing this occasionally I'm not under any illusion that it can only be worse than not doing it. What I don't understand is how or why fogging is a risk.

Hywel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must agree with Roger on the point of double exposures.It's happened to me on three occasions,but I've only lost 2 frames or so. Now I label the film with the number of frames I've taken and the camera it was used in.When the film is reloaded I go 2 or 3 frames beyond the number of exposures to make certain of no overlaping.
    Usually the film leader is left an inch out of the cassette since most of my cameras are manual Nikon & Pentax.Just listen to the film release from the advancing sprocket and crank it another 1/2 turn.
    This particular roll had been used in my N60 which rewound the leader completly.I popped the film open and respooled it onto an empty bulk cassette. Problem solved and another bit of useful information gained.

Thanks All,
    Mike

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by hywel View Post
    Roger,

Whilst I'm one of those who has admitted to doing this occasionally I'm not under any illusion that it can only be worse than not doing it. What I don't understand is how or why fogging is a risk.

Hywel
    Dear Hywel,

Winding it all the way back in, then pulling the leader out again, must involve parting the cassette lips slightly -- hence the risk of fogging. It's only happened to me once in 40 years but that's because I almost always rewind leader-out if I'm going to pull this trick; leader-in when the film is to be processed only.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    But you do end up with interesting double exposures occasionally. For that reason, I avoid using one of my "second chance" rolls on things that are important.

bd

True -- I have some interesting one from the early 70s (which is why I have done it as seldom as possible since...)

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks Roger, I can understand that. And as I always rewind leader in when I've finished and leader out on the few occasions I do reuse I hope it's something I shan't have to think about again.

Hywel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have only used the one purchased a couple of times with no fogging. Wouldn’t the felt on the cartridge block light? The steel on mine is very thin. Maybe on repeated use on the same cartridge is where problems occur?

Just a thought.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin