Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,070   Online: 1100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Problem retrieving film end.

I have developed a habbit of shooting 1/2 a roll of film,rewinding it,labeling how many frames were shot then tossing it into a freezer bag and finishing the film at a later date. I do this for my "walk about" films. It's exciting when the roll is finally developed and you see that the first bit was shot last summer and the second half was shot this week.
    This morning I am trying to get the film leader out of a cassette of Kodak High Definition colour and it refuses to budge. I'm using a Kodak film extractor and the film is at room temperature.Any suggestions for a solution?

Thanks

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I cut a 1/2" strip of 4x5 film, stick a piece of double-sided tape on it and push it between the felt. I turn the end of the cassette until it sucks in the piece of 4x5 film an inch or so, then pull the 4x5 film out. Half the time or more the 35mm film comes with it.

Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I take mine to my local camera shop/mini lab

...then pull the 4x5 film out. Half the time or more the 35mm film comes with it.
    Didn't know that 4x5 and 35 had such an affinity

sorry, i couldn't resist

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could remove it competely from the original canister (in the dark of course) and re-load into a re-usable plastic canister with the leader out. I have done this once or twice in the same situation when all else failed.

We purchased one of those film leader retrievers and it just doesn't work. I tried for about a half and hour and nothing. As of today my roll of film is still rolled in the canister. Having used (or tried) the film leader remover my adivise is that of Tony Egan, get a reloadable canister and use that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Every time the film extractor hasn't worked for me, and I've had to resort to the bottle opener, I've subsequently found the leader to be bent, and that's just the way it is and other than the bottle opener there's no way I'd have got the film out.

I also do what you do, reusing a film, when on holiday, and I've only shot a few frames, and I need somthing faster for the night, but when doing such I never fully rewind. I know. But lots of Sharpie telling me to beware, and storing it in a different place to my virgin film, and I've yet to make that fatal mistake.

Hywel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had trouble with a retriever that I purchase until my wife, reading the instructions, told me to keep it aligned at the edge. By god, it worked when I did that. I was allowing the retirever to mygrate away from the edge and it would not work. Doing it by the instructions, works 100% of the time.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shooting a few exposures and then rewinding the film for later use greatly increases the chance of film scratches. It is not a good idea. Buy either 12 or 20 exposures rolls for this purpose and shoot the entire roll. Of course, if you bulk load you can choose the number of exposures you wish.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I cut a 1/2" strip of 4x5 film, stick a piece of double-sided tape on it and push it between the felt. I turn the end of the cassette until it sucks in the piece of 4x5 film an inch or so, then pull the 4x5 film out. Half the time or more the 35mm film comes with it.

Good luck.
    I use a piece of tape from the Dymo Label Maker. It works the same way and I am successful more often than not.

I have a great distaste for the manufactured film retrievers which never work for me.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post

Didn't know that 4x5 and 35 had such an affinity

sorry, i couldn't resist
    Opposites attract

Won't work trying to get a memory card out of a digital camera -- different species -- and it could get you arrested in Arkansas, unless you married it first.

vaughn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin