Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,999   Online: 999

Thread: Flat prints

Shooter
    Medium Format

Flat prints

I'm getting back into B&W processing after an absence of several years, and I'd like advice about the best way to produce flat fiber-based prints. I read the thread about the change to Ilford papers, which is great, but I'd like advice that applies to any brand.

In the past I've dried on blotters or ferrotype tins, with or without a glycerin solution as a print flattener. One approach I've read about but not tried is drying on plastic window screens. Other thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Blotters are a good start but the real finnicky thing is to find a way to dry the print to the core without having it curling. When I'm really exacting, I let the print dry between the blotters at least overnight and then I sandwich it between two sheets of watercolor paper and I iron it at low heat until it's bone dry. It's the next best thing to having a heated press.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin