Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,115   Posts: 1,613,141   Online: 1025

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Kentmere Bromide for Lith Printing?

Now that my favorite paper for lith printing is soon to be gone (Forte Fortezo) I need to start looking for replacement. I've not tried Kentmere Bromide before and I'm curious to know if anyone has used it for lith printing and if so, what are your opinions on it. I've read that it's a fine paper for regular printing, but I've not read any comments on it with regards to lith printing.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    From what I seen the graded Bromide does not work at least with photo speed developer at 1:15 A and B and over an hour in the developer.

But the Kentona worked well and I hear Fomatone MG works well. Never tried the FOMA but I am going to miss the look of Forte for sure.

Ask Tim Ruddman he is the expert on lith.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Kevin. Over an hour? Sounds similar to the experience I had with Ilford. I had read over and over that Ilford papers don't lith well, but I had some and I had to try it for myself ;-)

I've tried Kentona before and for some reason wasn't too crazy about it. I've tried Fomabrom, too. Its not bad in lith (you can get some really nice, deep blues with gold toner)

I'm still waiting for Kentmere to release their Art Classic replacement. That was my favorite before Fortezo. I bought a pack of the Fomatone Chamois a few weeks ago to see how it compares to the old Art Classic, but for various reasons I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I am hoping Tim reads this. I took a couple of lith printing sessions with him at the APUG conference last year and it was great. I just wish I could afford to take a full workshop with him.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I hear ya. I also tried Oriental in lith and nothing. I think, but not sure, that it is due to the low silver content and maybe the developing agents in the paper. I know Forte had high silver content and no agents and maybe that is why it was so good. Who knows, but in any case I am really bummed about it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Foma

Travis

I've used Oriental, Kentmere Kentona, Foma Fomatone and Chamois for Lith.

I found Oriental dull and uninspiring, Kentona gives the wildest colours (particularly after selenium toning) and the deepest blacks whilst Fomatone and Chamois give more subtle mushroom/ochre colours with lower D-Max and react well with selenium and gold.

My most recent gallery posting of hoar frost was created on Fomatone MG and I've tried re-printing it on Chamois. The Chamois gives very similar results with slightly better D-Max and the finish of the paper is absolutely beautiful - definitely my favourite finish to date. The Fomatone is very glossy and quite flimsy and I had trouble keeping it flat.

Barry

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Barry,

DId you try the current version of Oriental or the older version. With the stuff that is available today I cannot get it to work with lith at all.

I have some of the Chamois paper here and am planning on trying it. I am not sure I understand. Does the Foma MG work well or no, is it worth buying or should I stick with the Chamois and Kentona now that forte is gone?

Thank you so much for this post!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kevin, I don't know which version of Oriental you've tried, but I tried the Oriental Seagull VC and I got pretty crappy results, too. I haven't tried the warmtone or the graded, however. Actually, now that I think about it, Bergger VCNB gave me almost as crappy results as the Oriental.

I just bought several packs of paper I haven't tried before (Slavich, Fotokemika/Varycon and Fomatone Warmtone), and I'm going to give Kentona a second try.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I tried Ilford first and had the one hour experience with a nice result but some peppering. Then I tried Foma and I really like it a lot. It takes about 10 to 20 minutes and the tone is very nice.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by kjsphoto View Post
    Barry,

DId you try the current version of Oriental or the older version. With the stuff that is available today I cannot get it to work with lith at all.

I have some of the Chamois paper here and am planning on trying it. I am not sure I understand. Does the Foma MG work well or no, is it worth buying or should I stick with the Chamois and Kentona now that forte is gone?

Thank you so much for this post!
    A lot of paper would be saved by buying a copy of Tim Rudman's new book.

Almost all the questions on this thread are preanswered
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Perhaps so Mark but it's nice to hear others experiences on a subject I am interested in. I have both of Tim's books and have read them both. I find they are invaluable. Still I learn more by doing and experimenting. And I love talking about it.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin